Compound Rest

My compound is a bit of a pain to get off, even though iv removed cleaned and oiled the pins and set screws. So its probably just as easy to mount to the compound. Dave

That's a very interesting use and a very good idea, I can envisage getting very clean cuts using the setup as pictured.

Maybe you could set it up to cut from the back side with the bulk of the weight directly on the compound and over the ways.
Would be straightforward in the case shown on the magazine cover but engine cylinders would be bulky and probably difficult to get around “behind” them.

FWIW, I've had a lot of issues with sitting saws binding in the cut, more than with parting tools.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

FWIW, I've had a lot of issues with sitting saws binding in the cut, more than with parting tools.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
I think there's much less chance of binding , with the lathe turning against the revolving cutter going the opposite direction all the chips and the slot width is constantly the same there has to be almost no chance of binding. With the side cutting blade it has to be none .
I agree with just the slitting blade turning it could bind like milling slots seem too.

Once I get the adapter plate for my 4 jaw chuck done, I'll be starting on the saw and when I do i'll post some pics. Tks again Dave

Back