Compression fitting using Liquid Nitrogen

Do the wheels need to be independent of each other? Headless shoulder screws are available, also low profile heads are available, would likely take up less space than the clip.

Each wheel will be independent, and the holder of the wheel will need to be positional and adjustable. Some setups they could be a half inch apart, others (in the current planning stage) 22 inches apart. I have plans for up to 10 of these units. I figured half would be lefties, half would be righties.

ASM brings up a good point. I assumed the bearing was a sleeve. If it is a ball bearing then you will deform the race with an interference fit that is too tight.
Robert

So, I guess my questions are:
What would be the best alloy to use for the axle plate?
What would be the best alloy to use for the axle itself?
What size ream would I need for a .250" axle using Nitrogen compression using the axle alloy from above?
Maybe 4140 for the axle plate.
O1 drill rod maybe for the axle
For 1/4 inch, 0.249 would give a tight shrink fit.

I would look at a headless shoulder screw for the axle. In fact a flat head shoulder screw would also work very well, Just turn down the flat head to just retain the bearing, could have nearly zero clearance.

Maybe 4140 for the axle plate.
O1 drill rod maybe for the axle
For 1/4 inch, 0.249 would give a tight shrink fit.

I would look at a headless shoulder screw for the axle. In fact a flat head shoulder screw would also work very well, Just turn down the flat head to just retain the bearing, could have nearly zero clearance.
I keep forgetting to add that most of my projects are a journey, not a destination. That comment isn't directed at anyone in particular.

Those are good metal recommendations. In fact, it gives me another idea if the first plan fails.
I don't know what headless shoulder bolts are. One thing I need to consider (the reason for the clip at the end of the shaft) is that I want to be able to remove these wheels from time to time.

Here's the wheel I'm planning with

1616635879467.png

I don't know what headless shoulder bolts are.

Headless shoulder bolt

An ultra low profile shoulder bolt would work also, only 1/16'' head height.

If there is room, I would rather do a shoulder bolt as Jim Dawson mentioned than a clip. Clips can be a PITA.

Well, i’m glad there is more uses for liquid nitrogen.
I’m going to the Dermatologist to have some actinic keratosis frozen off of my face (again) with it in a couple days. With any luck it will not turn cancerous.
Just went to a welding supply with my neighbor the cow farmer, to buy a tank full with the stuff. He keeps bull semen in it.
Back in the day when I worked at the Caterpillar dealer, we used to keep bearing races etc. In the freezer over night then install them (hurry now) into transmissions housings etc.

Headless shoulder bolt

An ultra low profile shoulder bolt would work also, only 1/16'' head height.
So this one would work but I'd want to recess the plate by about 2mm. My bearings are 7.12mm (aka .2811"). The axle on the bolt is 9.35mm. OR I could have a 2mm spacer. Not a big deal.

But then what would I do with the 65 liters of liquid nitrogen?

OK, I don't have the nitrogen yet. I have two 35 liter dewars though. No bull semen. YIKES!

No matter which way I go, I'm hell bent to try the nitrogen thing. I need smaller dewars though.
I already bought the wheels, and the bearings are on the way. I also bought the reamers also. Five of them in increments of .2482-.2490
I'll probably never use them after this experiment but as I said, it's about the journey and I'd probably spend the money on something even more stupid if I didn't buy the stuff.

looking forward to how it works out. (as long as no one gets hurt) Pictures at some point would be nice :)

But then what would I do with the 65 liters of liquid nitrogen?
You don't have to do anything with it. Like President Trump said about Covid. "One day it will all just go away" With LN2 that day will be coming up in a day or two at most.

Back