Compressor exploded

I wonder if it would work to use one of the treatments that are made for sealing gas tanks that are rusting from the inside. This would kill any rust living in the tank and leave a coating to help prevent further rust.

I had been looking at getting a automatic drain kit for my 40 year old compressor.
This has a timer that will drain the water after an amount of run time that you set. So the more I use it the more often it will drain itself.
After seeing this I think I will order that now. And maybe a coating kit for the inside too.

Ouch, how many of us have old compressors and have no idea of the condition of the tank.
At work we have OSHA come in every 5 years to certify.
Glad he didn’t get hurt too bad?
OSHA does not certify tanks...they are a government agency who investigates and inspects...

Never, ever leave your compressor switch on for an extended time frame. Know of two neighbors who lost their shops to fire because of compressors. Leak, faulty valve and or regulators fail. Then your compressor runs until it has no oil and burns up causing a fire.

My shop compressor has not been turned off in 8 years...

I haven't drained my compressor since I got it. When I got it I put on one of these HF $7.49 auto drain valves and the tank is drained at the end of every cycle:
https://www.harborfreight.com/automatic-compressor-drain-kit-68244.html

I actually built my compressor out of a nice old industrial compressor pump with a rusted out tank and the 40 gal tank from a direct drive compressor with a bad direct drive pump. When I did the transplant I put a little liquefied (heated) heavy cosmoline grease in the bottom of the tank and swished it around a bit to help prevent rusting. The old compressor leaked profusely through many pin holes in the bottom of the tank... I guess the previous owner was lucky the tank didn't explode on him.

I have an automatic drain valve on mine, it cycles every hour or so whether the compressor is running or not.

Is there a way to tell the inside condition of a tank? While I've always drained my 25 gal craftsman after every use, still, it is about 20 yrs old now (but looks brand new since it hasn't been used all that much).

Is there a way to tell the inside condition of a tank? While I've always drained my 25 gal craftsman after every use, still, it is about 20 yrs old now (but looks brand new since it hasn't been used all that much).
There is several videos on Youtube (I think Keith Rucker has one), that show how to do a hydro test, using a pressure washer to build up the pressure.

I haven't drained my compressor since I got it. When I got it I put on one of these HF $7.49 auto drain valves and the tank is drained at the end of every cycle:
https://www.harborfreight.com/automatic-compressor-drain-kit-68244.html
Thats what I use. Since I do not use the air for painting, I have it set up so that I can spray some oil (Usually marvel mystery oil) into the tank. I have the auto drain kit, drain into a small pan, so I can look for water in the oil, which Has always been dry (love living in a desert).

The tank is not the only thing to check. MY neighbor's blew a crank and left pieces on his garage floor. Fortunately, no one got hurt.

Back