Compressor motor

Pevehouse

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hello all, I just picked up an Ingersoll Rand compressor with a good 2 stage pump on it. I have a 80 gallon tank I would like to use the pump on and I’m not sure what kind of motor to order for it. Gonna be single phase and this will be a backup compressor for me. Currently in the process of killing the aluminum pump I currently have and want this for when it finally ****s the bed. Thanks in advance for any info you can help with. Oh I might also mention the tank the pump is coming off of is trashed with rust

Attachments

• IMG_1759.jpeg
    IMG_1759.jpeg
    311.5 KB · Views: 16
Look up the IR specifications for the pump. HP is usually dependent on pump RPM to achieve desired PSI/CFM.

When you say the tank "is trashed with rust", I'm wondering what you mean. Did the tank fail a hydrostatic test or actually leak?

Look up the IR specifications for the pump. HP is usually dependent on pump RPM to achieve desired PSI/CFM.

When you say the tank "is trashed with rust", I'm wondering what you mean. Did the tank fail a hydrostatic test or actually leak?
No sir, it was slam full of water. Rusty mess that came out of the tank kind of turned me off,lol. I’m sure it would hold air just fine but I would rather not go down that road. I got a 60 and an 80 gallon tank that’s clean a a pin. Would much rather use those

I will look the pump specs up. I didn’t think of that. I read somewhere about motor rpm being used to skew the cfm ratings on some of the cheaper compressors. In other words it’s best to use a pump motor setup that generates good cfm at lower rpm, like 1750 vs 3450 if you follow me. That why I was kind of confused on which motor to go with. A high rpm vs a lower

Most compressor in that size range typically run in the 600-900 RPM range, you can look up the compressor model number to determine that information as well as the Hp rating, the Hp motor dictates the speed of the pump. The motors are typically 4 pole so 1750 RPM, there are calculators to determine the pulley size for the desired motor RPM. You need to check the pump specifications, what is the motor specification of the current motor? Single phase motors, one usually goes with a compressor rated duty motor. You will probably want to add a motor starter with an overload relay in that size range. Typical motors are Baldor, Marathon, Leeson, WEG, etc. You need to also check that the motor is running in the correct direction, even with splash lubrication.

Back