Concrete Coating under these, "total loss" systems?

I have lots of friends in the trades and see that sealing the concrete right after its set is the way it's done now. Wonder if it's a water glass type?

I have lots of friends in the trades and see that sealing the concrete right after its set is the way it's done now. Wonder if it's a water glass type?

Yes, that's the ingredient in concrete sealers.

Its been a few years but I think he applied the sealant before the final power troweling, if not just after. That way it soaks in, guess its never worn off as I still have no oil stains.

Greg

I'm concerned that whatever I use the oil will find it's way into the concrete. This sodium silicate comes in different strengths.
I think I will just buy a gallon and call it done. I have to order it. Lowes, Home Depot and the paint stores don't carry it.
That is kind of strange.
I wonder if Thompson's water seal?? would work?? Oil??

I used Sodium Silicate & Calcium Chloride on my basement floor slab, It worked well but its still basically an unfinished concrete surface, not great for looks or easy cleaning. I'm now thinking of covering it with commercial vinyl tiles.

Never been a fan of Thompsons, it just doesn't hold up. I used Ghost Shield 4500 densifier, followed by 8510 sealer. Some info below. No affiliation with the CO., but I do like the product. Mike

Hi All,

As a Ghostshield Distributor we often get asked the difference between the 8505 and the newer 8510, so please see below.

8510 = 100% Actives……….. 8505 = 40% Actives

Both products have the oleophobic “fluorocarbon” which is essentially a Teflon however because of the water vs. solvent carrier we are able to really beef up the fluorocarbon in the solvent 8510. With the water based 8505 it can handle only so much of the fluorocarbon in the mix then the viscosity starts to change, the fluid starts to gel and now you lose your ability for the product to absorb well. With the 8510 the solvent has a higher acceptance of the fluorocarbon therefore we are able to add more of it into the formulation.
Because of the 8510’s added fluorocarbon strength along with it being a solvent (getting better penetration than water) we find the 8510 has a much higher resistance to any oils and such vs. the 8505.

There really are no differences in each product with the exception the 8510 is really the 8505 on steroids ! There also is not that much of a price difference/sq ft between the two. The 8505 costs less/sq ft but covers less/gal so the net difference is maybe 10 cents/ sq ft.

In either case, make sure to use the 4500 Densifer which should be applied, then wait about a week for it to 'work' with the concrete, then apply the sealer. If you don't use the 4500 which is inexpensive, you will use much more of the more expensive sealer so the 4500 Densifer not only works better but it saves money!

Unfortunately since we don't make the Ghostshield no GJ discounts are available on this product line.

'Providing High Performance Coatings Since 1998'
15% Discount to Garage Journal Members on garage Coatings
www.armorpoxy.com www.armorcladepoxy.com www.supratile.com
COMPLETE JOB-ON-A-PALLET SYSTEMS, GhostShield Distributor
PLEASE EMAIL US DIRECTLY AT info@armorpoxy.com, kindly do not Private Message.

888-755-7361 info@armorpoxy.com

FWIW wish I had sealed my shop floor before moving machines in but I didn't and it's raw brushed concrete. As it is, I have some cardboard around my BP to catch most of the drips. The lathe isn't as messy so I'm less concerned. Occasionally I do have an oopsie so I sprinkle a little cat litter if there's a spot that bugs me, sweep it around, let it set over night and and vacuum it up with the shop vac. Honestly can't tell anything was there after. My shop is in a metal building, not an attached garage or basement so it's not quite as critical (to me).

Back