Considering a Crane For the Trailer

The trailer itself weighs just under 2,200 lbs. It's capable of carrying a total of 10,000 lbs. It just got new springs last fall. Currently when I side load it using the end loader, I put a jackstand at the front and rear of the frame member to keep it stable. The same procedure should work with a frame mounted crane.

I had the Harbor Freight version of the first crane you linked and used it without issue for several years up until the time I sold the truck.
I'd do it again if I still had the need of one. Only advantage I can see getting the HF version would be finding a discount coupon before the purchase.

I have always wanted to put a removable gantry on my trailer.

00V0V_eUbgrc1zpH3_0i90ct_600x450.jpg

The fatal flaw to my plan is that it would be MUCH too easy to pick up all those too good of a price to pass up deals on old machinery!

This probably isn't what you are looking for but I figured I would post it to spur some thought if nothing else.

I have a similar crane to the one you first posted. I also have a winch on the front of the trailer. I found for things that can roll the winch is hands down a better option. I do have different ramps depending on what I'm doing for loading.

A wireless winch is a good option

I have always wanted to put a removable gantry on my trailer.

View attachment 485298

The fatal flaw to my plan is that it would be MUCH too easy to pick up all those too good of a price to pass up deals on old machinery!

This probably isn't what you are looking for but I figured I would post it to spur some thought if nothing else.
Thanks for the input. I like the idea, but in this case it's a bit impractical. Among other things, I would like the crane to fit under a standard garage door to unload the trailer. Since this is actually used as a "utility" trailer it often carries the tractor, loader, mower or other lawn & garden implements. It also carries yard debris, firewood, steel building materials, and just about anything else that will fit in the bed.

I would like to install a crane that is easily removed and stored in the bed while the trailer is on the road or put in the garage when in storage at the cottage. It makes several trips a year from the family cottage to the house carrying everything from machine tools to firewood, which is roughly 100 miles each way. One of its first jobs this summer will be to load the new to me RAS (which will be disassembled for transport) in the trailer at the cottage and unload it in the garage at the house.

A while ago I used the trailer to transport the disassembled cold saw from the cottage to the house. Even in its disassembled state several of the pieces were in the 200 lb. + range. At 75 that's more than I feel comfortable carrying more than a few feet. Between the crane, assorted moving equipment and the crane I should be able to transport whatever I need to without excessive strain on the back or the brain.

Thanks everyone for your input. I finally quit procrastinating and ordered the crane mentioned in post #6 yesterday. Today I stopped by one of the equipment dealers and bought some 1/2" plate to mount it to the trailer. The crane is supposed to arrive between the 14th and the 17th of the month. If all goes according to plan it will be mounted and working by the end of the month.

On Edit:
I thought I might be able to pick up a few pointers as to the best methods of installing the crane, so I watched about a dozen videos of the one I ordered, and the Harbor Freight models being installed. Now I know why I don't watch YouTube videos. Most looked like the examples they would give you in a safety video as to NOT what to do. Others looked like they spent more time repairing the damage they inflicted on the truck or trailer than they did attempting to install the crane.

I wonder if any of these people review and edit any of their videos before publishing them?

Last edited:
if you get that crane, consider replacing the winch with a marine winch (worm gear) so that you have automatic braking and control.
That's what I did when I built my Log Splitter, I put a 2000# Superwinch on it to lift logs with a set of log tongs. I used the same truck crane and it works great. I made a little holder for the pendant. And also welded a link onto the jack handle and then welded a bolt the the pipe so that the handle is anchored by a wing nut with a fender washer.

Attachments

• 20181013_072014.jpg
    20181013_072014.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 20181013_072036.jpg
    20181013_072036.jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 20181013_071947.jpg
    20181013_071947.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 20181013_072041.jpg
    20181013_072041.jpg
    265.8 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Nice work on the log splitter and the crane. Both the crane base and the trailer are currently at a friend's welding shop. I made an agreement with the wife long ago that there would be no welding or flame cutting done at the house. To that end I sold the welders and torches. These days I take all the welding projects to a friend's commercial shop. He was the welder at the machine shop where I worked. We worked together on projects and prototypes for over 20 years. Of all the welders I've worked with he's far and away the best.

I purchased enough steel to make a platform to span the tongue of the trailer. The platform will be positioned where a large toolbox was originally mounted. It will be large enough to mount the crane on either side of the tongue. I was originally going to permanently mount it on the right side, but later decided it would be best if it could be moved from one side to the other depending on what needed to be loaded.

The next couple weeks are going to be busy with all the work needed to open the family cottage and get the spring yard work done. It's probably going to be early May before I can get back to the project. It already has 2 jobs lined up. The first is to disassemble and lift the 14" radial saw (750 lbs.) into the trailer to get it from the cottage to the shop at home. The second job will be to get the MEP 002A military generator (950 lb.) I purchased into the trailer to transport it to the garage at home so I can get it up and running. Between all the yard work at home and the cottage along with several projects already in the cue it looks to be a busy spring and summer.

Thanks, I'm sure you will be happy with the crane, My Father had one on his trailer and lifted some heavy stuff with it.

As an aside, Back around 1989 The traveling "Ramco" Dealer talked me into buying a Pickup bed full of their equipment. One of the Pieces was a Pickup truck mounted crane. I mounted it in the bed of my 1978 Dodge using a large heavy plate with a lot of bolts. Long story short I was picking up a Dodge 440 with the transmission still attached and it folded my bed over, Pretty much ruining the bed. You may want to fabricate an outrigger that swings out or telescopes to avoid any issues like that.

Edit to add:

I found a pic on the web of the one I had.
1714139247118.png

Back