Conundrum On A Lathe

Hypothetical question. .......
Hypothetical answer: Option A

Real life answer: I don't know. If it really happened, I'd base my druthers on current situation... how much time do I have to wait, how badly do I really want DROs, how much hassle am I in the mood to put up with, and so on. It's a personal choice and your mileage may vary. ;)

Tom

I agree that they are not hard to install, but I have accurate dro's on almost all of the manual machines in our shop. Accurite will only warranty (at least that is what they have told me) the dro if they or a certified tech does the install and or repairs. We have a maintenance tech that has been certified by accurate to do our repairs.
Another suggestion is: When signing for a machine you can't always verify that it is configured the way you ordered it and the delivery driver is always in a hurry so, when I sign to accept the machine, I write "sight unseen" on the receiver to maintain my ability to go back to the manufacturer/distributor with any discrepancies. I would have them come onsite asap and install and calibrate the dro before I approve final payment.

...snip...
Another suggestion is: When signing for a machine you can't always verify that it is configured the way you ordered it and the delivery driver is always in a hurry so, when I sign to accept the machine, I write "sight unseen" on the receiver to maintain my ability to go back to the manufacturer/distributor with any discrepancies. I would have them come onsite asap and install and calibrate the dro before I approve final payment.

Unfortunately, signing for a package is just to the shipping company. Signing off says that you received n boxes in good condition. Noting that there was damage or missing boxes is the best you can do when the boxes are on your doorstep or loading dock. The shipper did its job.

If the vendor did not provide what was agreed to at the time of the sale, it's the vendor's responsibility to make it right.

That is the way it works in the U.S. at least. The shipper doesn't know what's inside and doesn't care what's inside.

Maybe I was unclear. I sign "sight unseen" because the shipper has done his job. The vendor/distributor is responsible to provide what we contracted for and they are who I would insist makes it right. Sorry if I misled anyone.

I dunno about misled, it just seemed to me that you were a bit confused about which company had the responsibility to fix the problem.

Shippers have been moving things about The Earth for a couple of hundred years. The rules of the game have been established for a looooong time.

Unless we want to get into how automobiles are handled.... On paper, the shipper actually takes title to the cars and 'sells' them to the dealers. For insurance reasons is the official explanation.

Mike, I think we are both saying the same thing. You may have made it clearer, but my post only lets the driver off the hook, not the manufacturer or distributor. I totally agree with you.

Yes, we agree we are saying the same thing.

But clarity is what I get paid for. I program computers for a union benefit office. Every 1/10 of a penny has to be accounted for. Then reported to the trustees, the DOL, ERISA, PBGC, SSA, ad nausium. And we have accountants visit twice a year to check the books.

You should see the documentation we create for the mistakes!

I hear what you are saying. I am a tool maker by trade but I supervise the shop I work in and we are a defense sub contractor so I know about paper work. Often, the documentation is more time consuming than the actual job, most of which, I am happy to say, is not my problem.

So, what did the OP decide? Just curious?

Does anyone use a Trav a Dial anymore?

Bob

Back