Convert LeBlond 19" servo shift to 230v.

I keep thinking you might need to look at the wiring to the contactors. I know Ulma Doctor mentioned " you will almost never see 460 volt coils on contactors" That may be true of more modern machines, but that hasn't been my experience with machines from the 1950's, 60's, and 70's that were run in commercial or industrial settings. I just checked the ones in my lathe, power hacksaw, and milling machine. They are all 208/220-480. Since your machine was originally wired for 480 you should verify the voltage of the contactor magnetic coils. If they are multi voltage make sure they are wired for 220 volts.

If the wiring is correct you may have a problem with the contactors themselves. The last few weeks I've had some trouble starting my Sheldon lathe. I know the contactors are worn, but until recently they have been starting the machine just fine. Today it wouldn't start so I opened the starter box and inspected them.

I disconnected the power and removed the forward starter coil to inspect the contact points. I found one set in extremely poor shape and the other 3 sets in fair to marginal shape. I removed each contact set and cleaned the surfaces with a small piece of 150 grit sand paper. After reassembling the unit I powered it up and pushed the forward start button. The machine started instantly. I tried it several more times to be sure the initial start wasn't a fluke. It started perfectly every time.

I know sanding contacts is frowned upon in the industrial world. Hoverer in this case it did prove the machine would function if the contacts were clean and properly aligned. I was able to find new Furnas contactor repair kits, and coils on eBay for an extremely reasonable price. I ordered all new magnetic coils, contact points, springs, and hardware for both the forward and reverse starters for less than $90.00. That's a fraction of the price they were going for a few years ago.

I still have the NOS Allen Bradley starter assembly I was going to use on the lathe. It's identical to the controls on 2 of the mills and the power hacksaw so I'll have all the replacement parts I'll need for the foreseeable future.

As an FYI I did a short search for "Westinghouse contactor repair kits" on eBay. They appear to be similar in construction to Allen Bradley and Furnas. I'm not sure what size starters you have, but there currently over 100 listings for various size kits.

I keep thinking you might need to look at the wiring to the contactors. I know Ulma Doctor mentioned " you will almost never see 460 volt coils on contactors" That may be true of more modern machines, but that hasn't been my experience with machines from the 1950's, 60's, and 70's that were run in commercial or industrial settings. I just checked the ones in my lathe, power hacksaw, and milling machine. They are all 208/220-480. Since your machine was originally wired for 480 you should verify the voltage of the contactor magnetic coils. If they are multi voltage make sure they are wired for 220 volts.

If the wiring is correct you may have a problem with the contactors themselves. The last few weeks I've had some trouble starting my Sheldon lathe. I know the contactors are worn, but until recently they have been starting the machine just fine. Today it wouldn't start so I opened the starter box and inspected them.

I disconnected the power and removed the forward starter coil to inspect the contact points. I found one set in extremely poor shape and the other 3 sets in fair to marginal shape. I removed each contact set and cleaned the surfaces with a small piece of 150 grit sand paper. After reassembling the unit I powered it up and pushed the forward start button. The machine started instantly. I tried it several more times to be sure the initial start wasn't a fluke. It started perfectly every time.

I know sanding contacts is frowned upon in the industrial world. Hoverer in this case it did prove the machine would function if the contacts were clean and properly aligned. I was able to find new Furnas contactor repair kits, and coils on eBay for an extremely reasonable price. I ordered all new magnetic coils, contact points, springs, and hardware for both the forward and reverse starters for less than $90.00. That's a fraction of the price they were going for a few years ago.

I still have the NOS Allen Bradley starter assembly I was going to use on the lathe. It's identical to the controls on 2 of the mills and the power hacksaw so I'll have all the replacement parts I'll need for the foreseeable future.

As an FYI I did a short search for "Westinghouse contactor repair kits" on eBay. They appear to be similar in construction to Allen Bradley and Furnas. I'm not sure what size starters you have, but there currently over 100 listings for various size kits.
Thank

here's a electrical print for the machine

Attachments

• leblond electrical.pdf
    344.6 KB · Views: 20
Back