Converted to a QCGB; which change gears should I keep?

ARC-170

Jeff L.
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
CHANGE GEARS
I have converted my 101.07403 from a change gear lathe to one with a QCGB. I know I need to keep certain gears (I was told in another thread, but I can't remember right now what they were) for making metric threads, but what other gears should I keep? I think I saw a Tubalcain video where he kept a gear set that reduced the feeds by half. I think as long as it's a set that has a 1:2 ratio and doesn't interfere with the other gears, then it will work. For example a 16/32 of a 12/24.

NAMEPLATE
Should I change the name plate on the back?
The lathe is a 12x18, so it's not really an "official" 101.27430 (12x24) or 101.27440 (12x36).

DONOR LATHE
The donor lathe is all fixed up and ready to sell. It's a 101.27440, but without the change gear box, it's really a 101.07403. Should I leave the original tag on this one, or switch them/get a new one?

I'm leaning toward just leaving everything the way it was originally, but I thought I would ask and see if it mattered or was important.

I would keep all of the change gears. Who knows when you might need them for a project. You need a 52/44 combo to cut the more common metric threads. They go in place of the two 48 gears. The 44 on the inside towards the headstock with the 52 on the outside.

If you don't want to sell the full set of change gears with the donor, I would leave the nameplates on their original beds. There is no indication that Atlas furnished a new nameplate with the gear box kits that were sold to convert the earlier machines. And the gear boxes would also fit the babbit bearing machines, too.

You should report the serial number and original model number of the machine that was upgraded.

You don't want to keep any of them. They are terrible for your health. You should send them all to me, so that I may relieve you of your burden. ;-)

I would keep all of the change gears. Who knows when you might need them for a project. You need a 52/44 combo to cut the more common metric threads. They go in place of the two 48 gears. The 44 on the inside towards the headstock with the 52 on the outside.
Chuck, do you have a picture of this? I'm assuming I should keep a 44 and a 52 and put them on the same axle, or are they paired with a smaller gear or are they placed in series (the 44, then the 52 or vice versa)? Thanks!

You don't want to keep any of them. They are terrible for your health. You should send them all to me, so that I may relieve you of your burden. ;-)
You can have all of them for $100,000,000,000,000,000, including shipping.

Seriously, do you need a set? I might be willing to part with them. I'll have to inventory them and make sure I have what I need going forward.

If you don't want to sell the full set of change gears with the donor, I would leave the nameplates on their original beds. There is no indication that Atlas furnished a new nameplate with the gear box kits that were sold to convert the earlier machines. And the gear boxes would also fit the babbit bearing machines, too.

You should report the serial number and original model number of the machine that was upgraded.

I'll leave the serila number plates alone then.

Where should I report?

The 52 and 44 are keyed together on the same shaft so they both turn together. To cut metric threads the slider gear is moved to the inner position and meshes with the 44. To cut imperial threads the slider gear is in the outer position and meshes with the 52. My lathe is currently set up for imperial threads with the slider gear in the outer position meshing with the 52.

IMG_4048.JPG

I don't know if this post has any real bearing on the question, just thought I'd throw it out. Some 15 years back, I acquired a 101.27440. A 12X36 with the built on QCGB. A while later I found a complete set of change gears for the earlier model. I don't know if it was a good buy(eBay), but was within what I was willing to pay at the time. So I did. . .

They have never been used, I built a wooden "peg" stand and wrapped them in plastic. They just take up shelf space which I am sorely short of. My philosophy is that I would rather have and not need than to need and not have. Each person has to make decisions like that regularly. It's individual. . . Me, I may or may not need them in the undefined future. But, if I do, I got them. Not too handy, but in the same shop building.

Thanks, Chuck, this is helpful. Is there enough room for the gears to slide over toward the headstock so the 52 engages? Hard to tell in the photo, but I'm assuming it does. I'd check on my lathe, but the QCGB is in pieces.

BTW, what lube are you using on the gears?

Back