Converting A .303 British

Milehimachine

Registered
Registered
I am looking for some info on how to convert my 100 year old .303 British into a 45-70. Any help would be appreciated.

New barrel? I'm not into ether of those but the cases heads are somewhat close so that might be all you need.

Without oversimplifying, it's basically a rebarrel. Without knowing you experience or equipment background, it's hard to give details. The Enfield action in good condition will handle the 45/70 factory loads. You may need to do a little bolt face/extractor work compensate for the rim diameter difference. Feeding from the enfield mag will be a little challenging. (I have trouble getting my SMLE to feed 303 rounds sometimes.)
All in all it's a good conversion. I believe Gibbs Rifle Co. sold a lot of this type of conversion years ago, so it's certainly feasible (and apparently profitable). Good luck and looking forward to your project.

Thanks for the info. I knew barrel would be replaced, and I can easily machine that but for bolt work probably going to outsource or get a couple to on practice on.

Back