Converting a PM 728 VT to CNC

jdm033056

Registered
Registered
I'm just starting on this road and have a question concerning PM premium ball screw kit. My question is, has anyone put NEMA 24's on the X and Y axis? Do they fit on the NEMA 23 motor mounts? I want higher torque than with a 23 and some say they can, but do they?? Thanks for your help.

According to a quick search I did, Nema 23 & 24 have the same 47.14mm mounting hole spacing. The Nema 23 is a 2.3" frame and the Nema 24 is a 2.4" frame. So, I would say as long as you have the physical space for them, yes, they should fit.

According to a quick search I did, Nema 23 & 24 have the same 47.14mm mounting hole spacing. The Nema 23 is a 2.3" frame and the Nema 24 is a 2.4" frame. So, I would say as long as you have the physical space for them, yes, they should fit.

Thank you for taking the time to answer. I'm hoping someone weighs in who has put NEMA 24's on the PM motor mounts will weigh in because it's alot of $$$ :). I called PM and they couldn't commit that they would fit.

I use stepper online 24's and the boss fits but I had to bore out the mounting holes. If my memory serves me I had to elongate each hole by 1.5 -2mm. Also keep in mind the included motor covers will not fit over them.

Last edited:
I use stepper online 24's and the boss fits but I had to bore out the mounting holes. If my memory serves me I had to elongate each hole by 1.5 -2mm. Also keep in mind the included motor covers will not fit over them.
Thank you, that is just the info I was looking for. If I stay with the NEMA 23 and go to the 424 ozin is there that much difference. I like the covers and don't do heavy material or worry too much about feed rates. I am a hobbyist and retired so time isn't an issue :) :)

Back