Converting my old pneumatic retracts to electric.

No limit switches. The controller monitors amp draw and when it sees a set peak amp at the end of travel it stops, then backs the motor up slightly just to unload it and then turns off until the gear is commanded to move the other way.

OK It took some time and futzing around but I have the first gear assembled and it moves up and down.
I have not yet tried it with a heavy wheel and strut but that will be coming soon. At least it all moves and works. I did order a couple more motors with different speeds to see what will be the best compromise between what works best and what I think I want. this has been a heck of a project, There were a lot of mess ups and just as many saves.

20170702_205954.jpg

20170702_210008.jpg

And even a video link...

Wow! The RC world would go crazy with this.

OK It took some time and futzing around but I have the first gear assembled and it moves up and down.
I have not yet tried it with a heavy wheel and strut but that will be coming soon.

The real test would be my landing skills test…………….

Oh I can assure you that they will be getting impact tested once I start flying them. :laughing:

I still have to trim the threaded shaft to final length so that they can get full travel.

Then I will mount the wheel and strut to be sure that the motor can actually lift the weight.

Then another test with the leaf blower to be sure that the loads imposed by flying thru the air plus the weight will not overload the motor. I may still have to go one or 2 steps slower with the gear motor for more power.

The very last step will be to take everything completely apart to apply Loctite on all fasteners and lube all moving parts.

I really admire this work. Fortunately I bought a big box full of Spring Air retracts a few years ago; probably more than I’ll ever use. Someone asked me if I would be interested in making a set of large airplane retracts for them recently. After some discussion I offered him access to my shop.

Wow! The RC world would go crazy with this.
Not really There are many makers of electric retracts. I am not sure if anyone even still makes air retracts.
But then the RC world is kind of crazy to begin with.

Back