Converting SolidWorks Files (to more universal types)

graham-xrf

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
This is about a nice, free to download, model of a Starrett 91C type of tap wrench, but drawn up by a CAD enthusiast, and made available to everybody. It may not be exact Starret, just his take on it. The model was posted on GrabCAD by an enthusiast who happened to use SolidWorks. I would love to find a way to convert them to STEP file, or IGES, or something that can be imported into FreeCAD.

The model is here --> GrabCAD Tap Wrench Model

Tap_Wrench_91D_Gif.gif

One way, apparently is to compress a SLDPRT file into type .RAR (1st stage), and then simply rename the file from .SLDPRT into .STEP
I found this tip --> HERE , but I still find it hard to believe a SLDPRT file when compressed RAR is a STEP file ??
This route is not available to me because I can't make a RAR anything, since I don't have Windows anyrthing.
I do have an "unrar" utility, so I can uncompress RAR files, but not make them.

There are free online converters that can convert a SLDPRT file into STL format, which can be read by FreeCAD. It's a long work-around. The STL file needs to be accepted in meshing mode, and then analyzed and worked on to remove triangle boundaries on flat faces, and "healed" in various ways. Then converted to a solid in the Part workbench.

So I ask. Is it pushing the boundaries at all if a HM member who happened to have SolidWorks, loads a SDLPRT file, end then exports it in STEP format, and re-posts it? There may be some members who have this software, and don't mind helping out.

Attachments

• Tap_Wrench_91D_Body.SLDPRT
    648.4 KB · Views: 6
Do you know what SWx version the file was created with? I only have 2018 and older versions of SWx which means I can't open files created in newer versions.

SolidWorks has that annoying "feature" of not being compatible between versions. I have SW 2012 but still work primarily with SW 2010. I cannot open a 2012 file in 2010. If I open a 2010 file in 2012 and save it, it will save as a 2012 file. It can't save as an older version.

McMaster Carr has a wealth of 3D CAD files for many components but a few years back, they updated the SolidWorks files to a version later than 2012 so I can no longer open them. I can import files into SolidWorks as STEP or IGES files but, because I only have the the standard version of SolidWorks, I can't import features.

As to converting SLDPRT, SLDASM, and SLDDRW files to a more universal format, I am not aware of any third party conversion program. They can easily be done from within SolidWorks and perhaps one or more of the forum members could provide that service. I could do that with any SolidWorks version up to 2012.

If nobody converts it this weekend. I can convert it at work on Mastercam to STEP

Cutting oil is my blood.

If nobody converts it this weekend. I can convert it at work on Mastercam to STEP
Thank you all.
The file was posted to GrabCAD in 2017.
I can, of course, make my own model in FreeCAD, but given what it is, I don't really need to. I wanted to make one, rather than make a model in CAD, and fetching a model would get me a dimensioned sketch.

This is all because I am now the proud owner of a "tap wrench" that was part of a carbon steel set from B&Q DIY store, Said excuse for a "tap wrench" had one handle attach the body with a quite wobbly thread which sheared without reasonable provocation.

There are some other bits that have SLDPRT files, such as the spring, plunger, and nut. There is also a SLDASM file which, I take it, is some kind of assembly definition. I don't think it is needed. If I had the bits, I think I can figure how to put it together.
This situation is exactly why, when I do look to CAD, I opt for FreeCAD.

That particular wrench has some very cool features in the detail that would not normally be done for modern mass production, and is featured as a project by YouTube content creator "Inheritance Machining". Maybe he has plans on a website.

Alternatively maybe I can find some dimensions from a search on Starrett 91C "images".
Maybe I should just go my own way on this, and cook up something. Then, in the end, put the FreeCAD files on this site.
Does HM even have a place for CAD file models?

Last edited:
For completeness, I post all the model files here..
We note here that this copy model of the Starrett 91C is free, and has been made available to all by the creator.

Attachments

• Tap_Wrench_91D.SLDASM
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
  • Hand tap M8x1.25.SLDPRT
    3.7 MB · Views: 1
  • Tap_Wrench_91D_Body.SLDPRT
    648.4 KB · Views: 1
  • Tap_Wrench_91D_Nut.SLDPRT
    653.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Tap_Wrench_91D_Plunger.SLDPRT
    84.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Tap_Wrench_91D_Plunger_Pin.SLDPRT
    71.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Tap_Wrench_91D_Spring.SLDPRT
    429.5 KB · Views: 2
This is a single STEP file containing all the parts and they are as modeled in the assembly file so the relationships between parts are preserved. If this doesn't work for you in your software let me know and I'll upload the individual files.

Attachments

• Tap_Wrench_91D.zip
    3 MB · Views: 1
This is a single STEP file containing all the parts and they are as modeled in the assembly file so the relationships between parts are preserved. If this doesn't work for you in your software let me know and I'll upload the individual files.
You are a star! Thanks very much. :)

There is, apparently, a model of some kind that can be downloaded from the Starrett site. It requires a log-in, and likely some sort of permanent relationship with their "database", but now we don't have to do that.

Here is a look at how it all arrives in FreeCAD, and I include a view of FreeCAD doing a direct measurement between two points. The dimension is in a pale green (not yet configured), but easy enough to see if the second picture is displayed full size and zoomed up. You can see in the second picture, the combo box on the left lists each component of the assembly, and each has it's own body definition.

Tap Wrench a la 91C#1.png

Tap Wrench a la 91C#2.png

Disregard the pink background. It's an updated FreeCAD-daily 0.21 and I have not yet set up the colours. I was still experimenting. I also used "random colours" for the body, nut and plunger. Initially, everything was the same colour as the tap. I also set some transparency on the body, and the nut, so we can see the plunger.

Last edited:
Back