Convince me that I need a 3D printer

GeneT45

Registered
Registered
OK, I actually had one ~10 years ago, and never got past making happy meal toys. I'm still fascinated by them, but when I look at what people are doing with them it's ... happy meal toys... I've seen a few ideas here, but am starting this thread in the hopes that I can collect "practical" uses for an FDM printer - particularly from those that already own machine tools. I'm not really interested in 'how' in this thread - just 'what'. I really *do* want a 3D printer (again, sigh) but I can't come up with enough ideas to convince myself that it would be useful in proportion to its modest price.

TIA,

GsT

Having recently getting one, I can report, I haven't made any happy meal toys. They are handy for making little fixtures, and or housings for things. I made a housing/enclosure for my ELS controller, and a housing for a doppler chronometer I made. Also mocked up a plastic model of something I may machine. It was a model of a die and punch. I'd rather explore clearances and things on the mock up than the block of steel. The plastic cost is minimal. I also modified someone's design to make AXA tool holder holders that would work with my 1.5" 80/20. Those have worked out really well. I've been waiting for them to sag, but they have been holding up. I can print 9 of them at a time.
PXL_20221123_222001884.jpg
ELS housing, early version. Still learning about bed uniformity and z height.
PXL_20230122_215228840.jpg
Idea for a punch and die
PXL_20221209_005644380.jpgPXL_20221209_003728695.jpg
PXL_20230118_000521039.jpg
AXA Lathe tool holders for 1.5" square 80/20.

Others have made far more interesting things, and have, in my opinion, made some really cool stuff.

But basically, it's just like anything else. It's kind of a toy, but you can make useful stuff with a little imagination. Got to know CAD, though, to take full advantage of it.

"Need", is a strong word.

But, it's good for little, custom, things that are otherwise hard to get.

Some examples:

Way wipers for my lathe

Some DRO display handles.

A base for my homemade titanium powder trickler

A tailstock indicator mount/mat

A toolpost dial indicator mount

Some peg board tool racks

More way wipers, custom made for a forum member

Lathe height gauge pegboard holder

Some DeWalt wall mount battery holders.

A bunch of collet racks

Lots of parts for another 3d printer I built

You don't NEED one. But they're kinda neat.

My most recent contraption.

An overnight power outage a few weeks ago caused me to dig out my battery operated lantern.

Unfortunately, the 4 d cells in it had died, spooging out corrosive chemicals, causing corrosion damage too the contacts. So, I had to use a candle and flashlights.

My fix:

A 20v to 6v DC buck converter (6$, ebay), two harbor freight spade terminals, some CAD work on my previous designed DeWalt battery rack, and 3 hours print time with my Voron.

IMG_20230203_160726_01.jpg
IMG_20230203_160619_01.jpg
IMG_20230203_160619_02.jpg
IMG_20230203_153604_01.jpg
IMG_20230203_152759_01.jpg

Now I don't have to ever buy another D cell battery.

Oh, almost forgot. A similar battery adapter for my TS100 soldering iron. The thin, flexible cord is great, and not having to drag stuff over near an outlet is even better. No buck converter needed here. The TS100 likes the 20v supply directly from the battery.

IMG_20230124_113144_02.jpg

IMG_20230124_113144_01.jpg

An insert to convert an old toolpouch into a soldering iron case.

IMG_20230123_160004552.jpg

Last edited:
@Ken226 was hoping you'd drop by in this thread... You are the artist and talented designer I was referring to!

There's lots of stuff to design and make. Need something unique and it doesn't need to be metal? Design it and print it. You are primarily limited by your imagination, and perhaps by your CAD skills. Custom stuff needs CAD. Myself, I don't want to sign up on every little download site just to get access to something that may not even work for me. Rather design it myself.

@Ken226 was hoping you'd drop by in this thread... You are the artist and talented designer I was referring to!

There's lots of stuff to design and make. Need something unique and it doesn't need to be metal? Design it and print it. You are primarily limited by your imagination, and perhaps by your CAD skills. Custom stuff needs CAD. Myself, I don't want to sign up on every little download site just to get access to something that may not even work for me. Rather design it myself.

Thank you.

I agree 100%. CAD brings the 3d printers utility up to a whole new level.

But, that's changing a little every day. The library of designs available for free download, on sites like Thingiverse and Printables is growing fast.

I'm even seeing manufacturers of some fairly common items publish 3d models of replacement part. I believe Adafruit, Raspberry Pi, Cooler Master and a few others are now publishing models on Printables.

I pretty much search both sites now before I fire up Alibre CAD, because about 50% of the time, my idea has already been designed by someone else and is available for free download.

I try to help out with that too. Nearly every one of my 3d printable designs is available on Printables.com. Printables seems to run a little smoother than Thingiverse these days.

Last edited:
I'm still fascinated by them, but when I look at what people are doing with them it's ... happy meal toys.
@GeneT45 I have owned a Prusa printer for five years with 185 days of cumulative printing. Nowhere in the 4000 hours of printing with it have I made a happy meal toy or any of the other stupid trinkets people print out. Like @Ken226 , all of my prints were utilized to make life easier in my shop or home. The first print I did was a replacement knob for my wife's crockpot. As others have mentioned, if you really want to utilize the printer to its fullest potential, you also need to know CAD. Both 3D printers and CAD are hobbies within themselves.

OK, 'need' was obviously too strong a word, but I think I was understood. Some good ideas here - not all applicable to my needs, but a few that have landed on the potential project list.

CAD isn't an issue. I own Alibre Pro and use it reasonably well.

GsT

Back