Convince me that I need a 3D printer

I think this is where so many people get tripped up. I know that without my knowledge of CAD, my 3D printer would sit mostly idle, but because I am proficient with CAD, my 3D printer becomes a tool. Learning CAD is an uphill battle with a steep learning curve, but it becomes invaluable once you get to what I call the "breakthrough" point.
Here is a picture of my ShopVac with an Oneida Dust Deputy hooked up. My original design had the hose at the top, which caused the whole contraption to tip over once or twice. When I worked on it yesterday, I realized I did not have any clamps for the PVC. Sure, I could have fabricobbled something together, but instead, I drew them up and printed them off. 10 minutes of CAD time and 1.5 hours to print.

I agree completely on the CAD side of things. I can't imagine not having it. I'm also not the typical use case. I have a total of 12 computer-controlled machines of various types.

My 3d printers are one of my most valuable tools in my shop. They support my many different hobbies. Most have been discussed here except one that I use very often and that is casting various parts. I take for example a broken part glue it back together when possible. Install it on my 3d scanner and it creates at 3d model, convert it to stl file and print it out in pla filament. I then use the printed part to make a working mold that can then be casted in metal of your choice.
This is just one example of what is possible with a 3d printer. It takes all your other hobbies to the next level.

3D printed pattern:
1702827765080.png

Cast in high copper brass:
1702827809473.png

Back