Cool Tool

M

"Mike"

Forum Guest
Register Today
I don't know if this is REALLY of any interest to anybody but as a person who turned wrenches for a living for the last 40 yrs, it MIGHT tickle somebody. If you look at the pics, you will see a 3/8" impact that I'm sure MOST of you have never seen before, if any. It's a CP 3/8" model 723 and as you can see, they are quite unique. The air motor is NOT mounted axially in the head like most impacts. The motor is in the handle itself and transfers the energy by bevel cut gears to the impact mechanism in the head. This allows the OAL to be drastically shortened and allows this gun to get in places that others can only dream about. I have been using these since they were built in the 70's. This one is the "NEW" one that I DID buy brand new in about 80. There were actually a SKIL design that that CP bought out and produced in England. They were discontinued because of their high cost at the time. I have bought two new(at $450.00 a pop) and a couple more used. I have even bought some used off of fleabay just for the parts. Funny thing is that they never break, so why did I buy them for parts! Anyway, just wanted to show them to you. They are like your right arm once you get used to them and they are strong and handy for getting into tight places, which if you've ever been a mechanic, is invaluable. By the way, put the cigarette pack there JUST for comparison, as I don't smoke. Had to borrow the pack! It was the only thing that I could think of that EVERYBODY knows the size!

P1030455-2.jpg P1030456-2.jpg P1030459-2.jpg

I agree, the old (pre-Asian) Chicago Pneumatic stuff never breaks. I bought the axial version of this impact wrench in 1980 and it followed me around for years. I eventually lost track of it, but last I knew it was still working fine. This design looks very compact and handy!

Thanks for sharing.

Tom

Years ago when I worked for a Cat dealer a fellow I worked with had one of those, and it was the handiest thing around for getting into tight places. Powerful little thing for its' size.

I've used one of the other ones that I have for 35 yrs and it's STILL the gun I go for first, and I have a BUNCH of impacts.

Back