Coolant tank in winter

I lost a good dog to ethylene glycol poisoning. It only takes a teaspoon to do them in. I don't leave exposed antifreeze around, period.

A tank heater won't keep your lines from freezing unless you are circulating the coolant.

You might want to consider switching to a waterless coolant/lubricant for winter months.

I lost a good dog to ethylene glycol poisoning. It only takes a teaspoon to do them in. I don't leave exposed antifreeze around, period.

A tank heater won't keep your lines from freezing unless you are circulating the coolant.

You might want to consider switching to a waterless coolant/lubricant for winter months.

The lines are drained after each use. There is no exposed coolant except the light coating in the tray. We don't let the dogs into the garage but I am looking for a safer alternative.

I bought a bird bath heater for my saw's coolant tank. Fail.....

How much antifreeze do I need to avoid freezing up again? I probably have two gallons of coolant right now.

Any better type of coolant? Less smell or danger to pets?
I have coolant on my bandsaw which is in the unheated part of my shop.
In winter I just unplug the 110v coolant pump and use a squirt oiler when I saw.

There are propylene glycol based 'pet safe' antifreeze products available...

I've never used them and don't know much about them, but they might be worth looking at.

-Bear

Propylene glycol has maximum safe limit of 23mg/kg of body weight. It is metabolized fairly quickly in the body and has little or no cumulative effects. For some time in the past, it was a carrier for various food extract, e.g. vanilla. I see that McCormack at least has gone back to ethyl alcohol.

It would require a mixture of 1:6 for freeze protection to 20ºF.

I bought a bird bath heater for my saw's coolant tank. Fail.....

How much antifreeze do I need to avoid freezing up again? I probably have two gallons of coolant right now.

Any better type of coolant? Less smell or danger to pets?
If you coolant tank is like the one on my lathe, square and metal, try going to tractor supply and pick up a magnetic engine block heater. All you need to do is stick it on the outside (its magnetic) and plug it in, it never sees the fluid and will warm the tank up.

If you coolant tank is like the one on my lathe, square and metal, try going to tractor supply and pick up a magnetic engine block heater. All you need to do is stick it on the outside (its magnetic) and plug it in, it never sees the fluid and will warm the tank up.

Plastic tank

Plastic tank
It was a thought. is it square or round? Have you thought of getting electric trace for pipe long enough to wrap around it 2 or 3 times? any hardware store has it and it uses a small thermostat that will keep it just above freezing.

It was a thought. is it square or round? Have you thought of getting electric trace for pipe long enough to wrap around it 2 or 3 times? any hardware store has it and it uses a small thermostat that will keep it just above freezing.
How about some sort of antifreeze? Lol.

Back