Cooling discussion

Road_Clam

Registered
Registered
So looking to learn your lathe cooling preferences. Basically looking at my options setting up my lathe in my basement. I have and old Kool Mist setup but Im a bit concerned with "stink" ( my wife complaining). How about a straight air blow setup ?

What type of machining and materials are you looking to machine? Production/CNC level or One off Hobby manually turned stuff? Steel, Aluminum, Brass?

I have a cool mist, but I rarely use it. Most of my stuff is one off and manually turned. Mix of materials. I manually apply cutting fluids as I go.

My Jet 1024 lathe is bigger than a mini lathe but it's not huge. So I don't typically take honking cuts, where I generate a lot of heat and might benefit from coolant. For the limited occasions I do, I'll pull out the cool mist. It's been a couple of years since I last used my cool mist. So I can't really speak to lingering smell..... My shop is part of my garage, so when I have used it, I've left the garage door open.

I mostly cut dry on my lathes, but for finish work I use TapMagic, applied by brush.

I haven’t noticed any particular odor from Kool Mist. Unlike fumes from TapMagic, which I hate.

I haven’t noticed any particular odor from Kool Mist. Unlike fumes from TapMagic, which I hate.
I'd have to admit that TapMagic does have a somewhat disagreeable odor, but it is worth putting up with considering the result, and I do have an electric fan on the lathe to blow smoke/fumes away.

Ive used Tap magic, Safe Tap and Cool
Tool II and they all work very well for tapping as a lube but each one does emit odor.

Dollar store squirt bottle with the coolant of your choice.

For the record, I’ve gone to AnchorLube. It started with hearing Joe Pie recommend it, so I had to try, and really like the results…less smoke and to date, results as good as TapMagic. I have a fan on the carriage, but hardly ever use it anymore.

Back