Correct way to repair a spirit level

AndySomogyi

Registered
Registered
Plaster of Paris is the correct material to hold the vial in a spirit level. The reason why is that plaster is easy to remove WHEN it breaks again. Consider that the reason you’re replacing the vial is because it’s broken. If it broke once, it will break again.

Some have said that bathroom caulk will work. Sure, it will hold the vial, but good luck removing it when you need to replace the vial again. Plaster can easily be completely removed simply by soaking it in water, then a quick rinse and it’s clean and ready to go.

This is a weird level, it’s a Starrett 98 that I bought used, but somebody replaced the vial with a 199 one, so it’s 0.0005” per foot per division.

Attachments

• A61C5507-81E0-4CE1-B26F-06575AA200E9.jpeg
    A61C5507-81E0-4CE1-B26F-06575AA200E9.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 58
  • 6C93A725-34ED-41DF-B5C1-314FDA4BCA52.jpeg
    6C93A725-34ED-41DF-B5C1-314FDA4BCA52.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 56
Yes, plaster of paris is the correct thing, that is how they are made originally, I have mounted several vials with that method, including a Starrett 98 replaced with a .0005 vial (I still have it, so it is not the same one that you have).

Where do you buy the vials? I have one that I need to replace.

Where do you buy the vials? I have one that I need to replace.
Go to the Starrett web page, and look up the part number, then google the part number. Lots of places on ebay and Amazon sell them.

I stopped using plaster of Paris years ago and now use white Silicone calk. so much easier and less mess.

I stopped using plaster of Paris years ago and now use white Silicone calk. so much easier and less mess.

I'll agree that caulk is easier. However, my point was that if the vial broke once, it will break again. With plaster, you simply soak the tube in water, and all the old plaster dissolves away, and easy to replace the vial. With caulk, I have no idea what removes it, acetone wont, MEK generally won't, usually you have to mechanically remove it, and that's a huge pain.

It's like when I worked as a VW tech, I learned not to use Loctite 574 on valve covers (or anything else that might ever have to be removed again), sure it seals great, but good luck pulling pulling them again, when you have to re-adjust the valves.

Richard, I see you are up at 3:16. I was up at 2:45 this morning. Ridiculous.
I didn't know they used plaster.

I have soaked plastered vials in cold, warm and hot water for days and they never get soft. I go in there with a screw driver, punch, drill and break it loose. My Dad invented a level that used 2 vials and we used to repair level vials all the time. One other thing is to slide in a white piece of paper under the vial. I have the best luck using an index card with pointed ends <===> . The vial I use for the most part is the .0003" and .0005" per 12". same as the Starrett 199 level vials. I am just explaining my methods and you can take it or leave it.

Mine had a bunch of old plaster in it from a prev repair, and I boiled it water few min and dissolved easily.

where can you buy the 0.0003 vials? I think I might make a few brass tubes with the same dimension as the Starrett, so I could have them interchangeable. Guess I can even get fancy and nickel plate them.

Are you referring to a carpenters level, or a machinists level. If it's a machinists level I would check it closely with a straight edge, or possibly a DTI before just purchasing and installing a new vial. If the level was dropped hard enough to damage the vial the fall also quite possibly damaged the level itself.

Many years ago I was called to a production facility to repair the loading section of a processing machine. The anchor bolts on one of the columns had worked loose allowing the column to swivel and cant to one side. The column had to be rotated back into place and be perfectly plumb for the loading section to operate properly.

We worked hours to reposition the column and shim it to the proper position. Once the bolts were tightened the column once again was not plumb according to the level. We disassembled everything once again checking the mating surfaces, anchor bolts, straightness of the column and everything else we could think of. Once again the column was hoisted into position and the plumb was measured. It was reshimmed and the anchor bolts retightened. Once again after tightening the bolts the column appeared out of plumb. This time we were beyond frustration. 30 hours had elapsed between our first attempt and completing the second.

This time someone finally admitted that the level had previously been dropped from quite a distance. It had landed hard enough that several of the vials had broken. While the vials had been replaced the level itself had never been measured to insure it was still straight. Sure enough the level was slightly bent. Not enough to be noticed by the naked eye, but certainly enough to no longer be accurate. Laid against the column with one end at the top gave a totally different measurement than when the level was placed against the column with the opposite end up.

Hard lesson learned. Be sure your tools are accurate before trusting them to make critical measurements.

Back