Corroded duracell AA battery warranty replacement

gard

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
Our family goes thru a lot of AA and AAA batteries. For the last few years it seems like we have been finding a lot that are corroded. Box says 10 year guarantee. I had some ruin a camera so called the toll free number on the box, talked to a helpful person on the phone. They sent a mailer and I sent them the failed batteries and camera, to my surprise I eventually got a check for $200 from them. It took several months but overall was pretty painless for me. This model camera is not made anymore but the price is about what a similar model sells for today. Each battery has a date code on it.

I have been able to get some simple dead devices to work, white vinegar does a great job of removing the white fuze but if you want to get a refund it would probably be best to not clean the battery or device.

I've seen the statement on batteries for years "send damaged device with batteries to this address" for repair or replacement
Glad they came through for you!
I know that dead or dying cells are much more prone to leak. I've seldom seen fresh ones do it.

Thanks, that’s good info to know. I have a $1000 Fluke meter that had leaking batteries that ate up the connecting bars in the battery box. I can replace them for around $50.00
I’ve jury rigged it for now, it still works. If I have this problem again I will contact them. Duracell is all I buy.

I think you are right about dead batteries however this camera had new batteries which started leaking within a day, there are also plenty of photos on the internet of corroded batteries still in original packaging.
I found that after being retired, I had more time to figure out how to save some money, finally dug into house insurance and am saving about $1000 per year, better deals on heating oil, propane etc but spending way more on tooling...

I found that after being retired, I had more time to figure out how to save some money, finally dug into house insurance and am saving about $1000 per year, better deals on heating oil, propane etc but spending way more on tooling...
I'm in a constant battle, trying to find ways to save money to offset price increases. Just dumped AT&T for Consumer Cellular. I've downgraded my Dish Network package each time they've raised the price. Next stop is dump them completely, but my internet service is so anemic that I probably won't be able to sell that. Homeowner's Insurance jumped $140/mo. this year after a major jump 2 years ago, which I was able to offset by increasing deductible and removing coverage for outbuildings I don't have.

I hear that. State Farm used to have "drive safe and save" which was a great deal for the cars I don't drive much. Of course they dumped it after a couple years, they were losing too much money.
I use Tracfone now for my cell phone, and Sonic for my internet and land line. No cable. Utilities and property tax are out of sight
-M

When I worked for Ray o Vac in the '70's, they had a "sealed in steel" byline for their zinc carbon batteries. They had a warrantee policy that if a battery leaked and damaged the device, they would replace the device with one of equal or greater value. Back then, the devices were usually flashlights. We used to clean them up and give them to employees. Transistor radios were rare so the cost of the replacement program was minimal. We did salvage a few transistor radios back then. As the devices became more sophisticated and more expensive, the warrantee policy was no longer advertised. It may still exist but I doubt it since the company has changed hands multiple times in the intervening years.

I have had multiple instances of battery leakage. I will clean up the leakage as much as possible and return the device to service. The cleaning process involved consists of physically removing as much of the leakage products as possible. Then I will flush the area dilute muriatic acid, followed with clean water. If the leakage extends into sensitive electronics, I will just use the water flush. This is followed by drying with compressed air and burnishing any contacts.

A ten year life warrantee does not cover leakage unless the battery still has some charge. And then it would probably only cover battery replacement and not the device it ruined. However, many companies will offer compensation beyond the extent of their warrantee as a customer service so it doesn't hurt to ask.

Discharged alkaline batteries have a tendency to leak. The safest bet is to check your devices from time to time to make sure the battery is still functional or to remove batteries from devices that will sit idle for an extended time. A particularly insidious situation are devices that draw a small current even when turned off. Left unattended, the battery(s) will completely discharge and leakage is a strong possibility,

A ten year life warrantee does not cover leakage unless the battery still has some charge. And then it would probably only cover battery replacement and not the device it ruined. However, many companies will offer compensation beyond the extent of their warrantee as a customer service so it doesn't hurt to ask.
The duracell batteries had clearly leaked and the warranty worked for me and they replaced the camera. I was skeptical but figured it was worth a try.

The duracell batteries had clearly leaked and the warranty worked for me and they replaced the camera. I was skeptical but figured it was worth a try.

Duracell's warranty statement:

*************************************************************************************************​

Warranty Policy​

The DURACELL® product carries a limited warranty against defects in material and workmanship under normal use and service for a period of 2-5 years (warranty period varies depending on product type, consult your product manual for specific details) from the original date of purchase. The manufacturer or distributor, at its option, shall repair or replace the defective unit covered by this warranty. Please retain the dated sales receipt as evidence of the date of purchase as it will be required for any warranty service. In order to keep the warranty in effect, the product must have been handled and used as described in the instructions accompanying this warranty. This warranty does not cover any damage due to accident, misuse, abuse or negligence.

Limitation Of Liability​

Except to the extent of repairing or replacing this product as expressly stated in the limited warranty described herein, the manufacturer and distributor shall not be liable for any damages, whether direct, indirect, incidental, special, consequential, exemplary, or otherwise, including lost revenues, lost profits, loss of use of software, loss or recovery of data, rental of replacement equipment, downtime, damage to property, and third-party claims, arising out of any theory of recovery, including statutory, contract or tort. Not withstanding the term of any limited or implied warranty, or in the event that any limited warranty fails of its essential purpose, in no event will the manufacturer’s and distributors entire liability exceed the purchase price of this product. Some states and provinces do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages so the above limitations or exclusions may not apply to you. This limited warranty gives you specific legal rights. You may have other rights which vary from state to state and province to province.
***************************************************************************************************************************
Further, in Punian v Gillette Co et al, U.S. District Court, Northern District of California, No. 14-0502,

(Reuters) - A federal judge threw out a lawsuit accusing Procter & Gamble Co PG.N of misleading consumers by guaranteeing that Duracell batteries would not fail for 10 years, when in fact the batteries might leak when used or stored normally.

In a decision late Tuesday night, U.S. District Judge Lucy Koh in San Jose, California, rejected claims in the proposed class-action lawsuit that P&G and its Gillette unit defrauded consumers in ads and packaging for Coppertop batteries containing “Duralock Power Preserve” technology.

Koh said reasonable consumers would understand that P&G’s representation that the batteries were “guaranteed for 10 years in storage” was a warranty to repair, replace or refund batteries that failed within that timeframe, and not a promise that the batteries “have no potential to leak.

HOWEVER from the back of Duracell's packaging, the first paragraph their guarantee states that they will repair or replace devices damaged by virtue of a defect in their batteries. It looks like marketing trumped the legal eagles.
Duracell Warrranty.JPG

As a footnote, both RayoVac and Eveready Energizer batteries also carry a repair or replace warranty for any devices damaged due to defect in their batteries. Good to know.

Back