Countershaft 'washers' for Atlas 10-F

WCraig

Registered
Registered
Hi:

I bought a 10-F and then sourced the missing countershaft. No 'washers' (part # 9-111) came with the countershaft. From searching here, I understand that these washers are just felt...to slow down the transfer of grease from the bearing to everything in line with the rotation of the shaft! ;)

What kind of felt (or other material) can I use to get up and running?

Craig

I don't know what the original size is but McMaster does offer one felt washer that might be usable.

They also offer sheet goods, you can make whatever you want.

You can pick them up ready to install off of eBay for the price of a cheap 12-pak. It seems someone else already bought quantity so you don't have to.

@pontiac428 posted just as I was about to reply that I'd found a listing on eBay. $13 for a package with the needed four felt washers. Apparently made of "F5" felt which is a medium firmness. I'm going to go that way rather than mess around trying to make my own.

BTW, based on the eBay listing, these are like a felt O-ring. Based on the shape of the countershaft collars (part #9-98), the ID of this washer is about 1.2" and the OD is about 1.5". No idea what the original thickness is supposed to be. It does not come in contact with the rotating bearing or shaft. I wonder if a rubber O-ring would work about as well?

Craig

The felts will permeate with grease and swell to fill the gaps between the bearing bosses and the shaft collars, contacting moving parts. They are very soft and well lubed, very low drag, and keep chips out of the assembly. I don't think an o-ring (esp. firm butyl rubber) is up for the job. If you own the lathe for a while, you'll have to replace all of your felts periodically as a matter of maintenance.

Another practical problem with the O-rings is that you usually can't buy just 2 or 4. And what do you do with the double-handfull that's left over. Similar problem with buying a sheet of felt. Minimum order will be enough to make a bunch. And the thickness probably won't be what you need for anything else. Plus few of us are likely to have utility punches large enough to use, and the finished part usually looks pretty ratty.

Cutting a few home made felt washers previously I turned up two hollow tubes for the inner & outer diameters putting a cutting edge on them with a wetted diamond impregnated nickel sharpening file as they turned in the lathe . Ensure the tubes are exactly the same length .

One cutter fits inside the other use a turned up in between the tubes spacer to give concentric spacing .

I then laid a square of thick medical felt on a bit of thick marine ply and used a 2 & 1/2 pound lump hammer to wallop the two tubes into the felt . Ended up changing the plywood out for a 6 inch square of thick conveyor belting . As it gave a better cut out .
I had to use a surgeons scalpel with curved blade on a couple of the washers to free them off the felt as the cutters hadn't quite cut right through the felt.

You can easily make your own " O " rings out of round butyl or silicone rubber see ebay number 281287811353for the general idea ) . Buy a small hank of the diameter of rubber needed ( I used to have half dozen common diameters 1,2,5, 6, 8 & 10 mm in my workshop )
Work out the pi x D to get the length needed for the correct size fit . Remember if it sits in a recess it will not be the maximum diameter of the shaft but the diameter at the groove depth .

Cut it dead square & to length with a craft knife at both ends as follows :-

Make a V cut the same width as the diameter of the rubber in the end of some 1/2" thick by about 2 inch wide oily plastic , wood or aluminium etc. Then accurately make a 90 degree vertical cut across it in the middle & at right angles with a fine junior hacksaw blade , make it deeper than the Vee .

Getting the length with square cut ends .
Lay the cord in the Vee to cut the first end at the cross cut slot using the craft knife , measure it off cut it to length again using the fine cross cut as the blade guide to get the ends square Check it has been cut to correct length to length . Now't worse then making a an O ring that is too big :oops:

Spot both ends with a small dot of super glue on both of the round faces . Now put them back in the Vee to align them perfectly ….pushing the ends together firmly but not overly hard , keep it in place continuously at the same pressure for 40 seconds . If it takes lift it off and lay the ring flat for an hour or more to fully cure .

Last edited:
Cutting a few home made felt washers previously I [...detailed description omitted...]
Sometimes I am all in on working for hours to make something even though it would only cost a little money to buy. Other times (like today), I'd rather exercise the credit card and wait a few days for the package to arrive. I'm not exactly a model of consistency!

BTW, I'm grafting a vertical countershaft onto a TH-54--aka originally a horizontal machine. The vertical countershaft fits perfectly! The way it takes up less bench space behind the lathe seems like a non-trivial advantage, at least to me.

Craig

Back