Countersink bits, does more flutes mean less chatter?

I would concur with Mikey as to the quality of MA Ford, Keo and Weldon. These are the only 3 brands I've been using going on 40 years. I prefer the uniflute design in that it can be used in a drill press, mill or in a hand drill without chattering. The so called 6 flute "chatterless" design works well in rigid machines, but is a real PIA to use in the field with a hand drill.

The majority of my countersinks are MA Ford. Years ago I purchased a fixture from MA Ford to sharpen them with a surface grinder.

Another vote for single flute countersinks! I have a relief fixture for my cutter grinder to sharpen them, Weleon made it. Ford has a fixture also, but to my experience it does not work very well, but it is relatively cheap.

As far as sharpening of it goes , I'll( very carefully :))follow your suggestion which is almost like the video in Bob's post. but I am now really curious to know the sharpening method BaronJ mentioned . being a lefty, I may find one method easier to follow than the other.

You all have great day now.

Hi Ken,

A picture of the grinding jig for the Weldon countersink.

16-09-2018-003.JPG
The 1" two flute countersink in the chuck needs to be sharpened. Unfortunately the jig has seized up.
The plastic collar at the end seems to have swollen and jammed in the threads.

16-09-2018-004.JPG
Anyway I have pulled it apart so that I can sort it out.

16-09-2018-006.JPG
I'm sure that you can work out how it functions. The thread is M30 by 1.25. I guess that I should replace the plastic threaded collar with a steel one. At least that won't swell over time.

Hi BaronJ,
I'm sure it makes sharpening CS bits much easier, it doesn't look like what I had imagined ,I thought it would be angled like the drill bit sharpening jig ,thank you for taking the time to post the pictures.

Hi Ken,

In use this jig is angled to the side of a grinding wheel. So if your countersink is 90 degrees, then the jig would be set so that the tool is set at 45 degrees. The countersink is rotated so that the sharp edge is against the grinding wheel. When the threaded collar is rotated it will move the countersink forwards and against the wheel. Thus producing a tapered cone.

It is easier to do than explain.

Here are some pictures of the MA Ford uniflute sharpening jig. It fits in a standard screwless surface grinder vice. Set the vice at the proper angle to the wheel (41*, 45* or 50*) and turn the collar. Very simple, but effective setup.

IMG_0571.JPGIMG_0573.JPG

At $281.00 I wouldn't exactly call it cheap. It is certainly cheaper than a T&C Grinder, but then again it can only sharpen uniflute countersinks

Last edited:
Back