Countersinks

bobloblaw

Registered
Registered
I did a search on CS and found a lot of info. I am working with aluminum and wondering what is recommended regarding number of flutes. It seems most are using 0 or 1 flute. Does this still hold true for aluminum?

I use zero flutes from Weldon or Keo most of the time. When I need an accurate countersink, I use a single flute one from MA Ford. Both work for any material commonly found in a hobby shop.

Regular cutters and countersinks seem to work differently, but the real separation is speed and feed rates. Many flutes = slower speed at higher feed. It's all about chip per tooth. Too much breaks them, too slow creates heat and glazing, loading, work hardening etc.
I like singles and zeroes best, in the smallest sufficient diameter. Multi's are OK with hand tools, used carefully.

My favorite are o flute turning at the slowest possible speed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks so much for the replies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I use single flutes the most. I do have full sets of KEO 0 flute & 6 flute. The 6 flutes I don't use that much but I got both KEO sets for cheap so it was hard to pass them up.

I'm not sure if I'm using them wrong or it's just the ones I have (they were brand new KEO) but they don't seem to work that well for me in harder materials. Single flute works better for me in harder materials. They do work great on softer materials though. I have not tried them on cast iron yet.

Here's one old thread on countersinks.

I prefer the ones with an angled hole through them, is that a zero flute?

I use them all depending on the application . If I'm drilling a hole , I either spot drill it or c'sink it to the print dimensions first , then drill it . Sounds like quite a few of you are c'sinking after drilling , perhaps in a drill press . The majority don't realize that a center drill is made mostly for using with a center in a lathe . So , they c'drill , drill then c'sink . Anyone in a production environment knocks 1 of those operations out to save a buck . Myself , I prefer a spotting drill over a c'drill any day .

Back