Couple Measurements For A Logan 200

THANK YOU! I will be making new bushings and working repairing all of my slop also. I am certain that la-193 is simply a hole for the oil to go to the spindle for us of the back gears. Only reason for the screw is to keep the oil from slinging back out onto the leather belt. I am amazed at the condition that this old lathe is in, I plan to use it to learn and then I will need to move on to a larger unit, with a QCGB and at least 1" thru the spindle as I intend to work a lot of gun barrels.

Thank you again, this is a great site full of very nice and helpful people.

Jason

I mis spoke! la-193 is the screw that locks the cone pulley to the shaft. the other set screw is the cover screw. it is labeled 0441

I mis spoke! la-193 is the screw that locks the cone pulley to the shaft. the other set screw is the cover screw. it is labeled 0441

I don't think so. If the screw locked the cone pulley to the spindle shaft, back gears would not work. The large bull gear is locked directly to the shaft and the "direct drive lock pin" connects the cone pulley to the bull gear when not using back gears. The manual says "The three-step cone pulley and the cone pinion gear are fastened together rigidly and revolve freely on the spindle." I have been using my lathe with the short set screw basically just plugging the hole (it isn't bottomed out) for years with no problems. Maybe it is intended to hold the 0781 "oilless bearing" in place. My 820 was made in 1945, it appears that LA-193 disappears in later versions sometime in 1946.

On my unit la-193 holds the cone pulley to the gear that drives the back gears (left) this is part number la 119-1 when I said shaft this is what I meant, not the spindle shaft. This gear transfers the power thru the back gears and then back up to the bull gear. The cone pulleys are NOT directly connected to the spindle shaft, but the ARE directly connected to the left gear (la-119) provided la-193 is in place.

Jason

Mister Ed, I do believe your on to something. My compound DOES adjust with nuts not screws.

Jason

Dang, I had to do some looking and thinking. And I miss spoke earlier, I have had the cone pulley off before ... I changed out the bull gear and switched over to a serpentine belt. Thinking back on that and refreshing my memory with the diagrams here is how I understand these parts to work.

The setscrew LA-193 locks the cone pulley to LA 119-1 Cone Pinion gear (gear to left of cone pulley). The pinion gear actually has a sleeve that slides into the cone pulley, and that is what the set screw is locking to. So yes that set screw does have a purpose and it is not the "oil hole plug". 119-1 also has a sleeve bearing inside of it.

The other set screw, 0441 that is in the center pulley of the cone, is the "oil hole plug" (my pulley actually has "Oil" stamped there). That hole is in an area of the cone that is between two sleeve bearings (793 I think) that ride on the spindle ... thus creating an oil pocket in that area. You can see this illustrated if you look at the older headstock LA 108-1. I am talking about the non shaded area in the center of the cone, around the spindle, and connected to the hole that 0441 screws into. I'm not sure if I have ever read just how much oil should be put in there. I remember years back I put in a bit (I used to be in the more is better camp) of light machine oil in there and replaced the plug. Well ... I do remember it did not take long and I had oil all over the flat belt & pulleys. Did I put too much oil? Or are my bushings a little worn? Not sure, probably a little of both.

Ahh the plot thickens, I looked a little closer at the 200 manual vs the 800 manual and there are some subtle but significant differences in the headstocks. What I thought was LA-193 is really 0441 and is in fact just an oil plug. Although my serial number is below 32777 my cone pulley has only one threaded hole (marked OIL) on the smallest step of the pulley. The diagram for the 800 series LA-27-1 headstock (which should match my serial number) shows two holes on the small step, one for LA-193 and one for 0441. If I remember correctly (it's been a few years) the gear has two two large teeth that engage the pulley.

Later versions of the headstock LA-27-2 show only one hole but on the middle step of the pulley for 0441 screw, the last one LA-27-3 shows only one but it's not really clear which step it is on because it only shows the screw but not the hole.

Bottom line is there are significant difference between the 200 and 800 series headstocks although superficially they are very similar.

Well I now have most everthing tightened up as well as possible for now, new belts ETC and am working on mounting it to the floor. I just discovered I am missing the 24 tooth change gear. I do have 2 72 tooth gears for some reason. Is there a source other than EBAY and new? None currently on Ebay and new is quite pricey! I am going to be ordering a quick change tool post setup for it, I have a lot of larger tooling available to me but no way to use it with the lantern mount. Any suggestions before I buy an ebay model?

Jason

I have a Shars wedge AXA that has worked out ok for me. You will need to modify the "T" nut to fit your compound. (I believe someone on ePay sells pre-modified T nuts if you don't have access to a mill or milling attachment.) Shars sells as "discount_machine" on Ebay and sometimes the stuff on Ebay is significantly cheaper than they have on their web site.

Thank you for the info, I looked them up they have a pretty good price on those units. I have a bridgeport mill at work that I can get the t nut machined with.

Jason

Back