Couple Questions About My 9x20 Lathe

Kawabuggy

Registered
Registered
I ordered this QCTP here: https://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=3112&category=

And expected it to come with a nifty handle like the one pictured. Shipment arrived today and no handle! Am I just supposed to use the old, factory, one that came on my Jet 9X20 lathe? Can I order a longer/better/nifty handle from Little Machine Shop to work with this new QCTP?

I will give credit to Little Machine Shop for SUPER FAST shipping. I ordered on Wednesday, and it was in my hands today. That was lightning fast!

Next Question: I ordered the 4-bolt compound mount and wanted to know do I still need to machine a "donut" for more compound stability? I was reading about the "donut" and really want to make the compound as rigid as possible. I think that would be a neat project for a beginner like myself. Also, would it matter if I machine the donut out of aluminum, or is it preferable that it be made out of steel?

Last question-since I now have a QCTP does little machine shop sell the cutters in kit form to work with the new QCTP that I just received? I have a local machine shop supplier that I could go to, but would prefer to just buy a kit with all the cutters to work with the tool posts.

Thanks everyone!

If you are really bored, you can read on: I just bought my Jet 9x20 from the original owner. He said he could never get it to cut very well and he gave up on it after a short period of time. The lathe is BRAND NEW. Still has cosmoline/grease on almost all of it. All of the accessories are still in plastic bags, or wrapped in paper. I paid $1100 for it. The first thing I noticed after getting it set up at my shop is that I could grab the compound and literally move it back and forth almost 1/2". For some reason all of the gib adjustment screws had been backed out. Maybe it came that way from the factory and the original owner did not know he had to adjust them? I adjusted them all and immediately got rid of all the slop. I chucked some aluminum I had laying around up and began taking some massive cuts (for this small lathe). No problems! No chatter. Cuts smooth as butter. Don't think I did too bad on price. Trying to set it up right with the 4 bolt compound mount and donut. Won't be doing anything heavy with it I just wanted a small lathe for little projects around my home/shop. I'm about to buy a mill as well. Been looking at those too so if anyone has any recommendations for a decent mill for around $2K I would appreciate hearing about it.

(1) The QCTP really should include the handle. Call LMS. They're very helpful
(2) While you're on the phone, you might want to consider returning the 0XA and going for an AXA - https://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=2280&category=
I have a 9x20 (Grizzly G4000) and the AXA works very well on it.
You might also want to buy LMS's nifty tool post adapter - screws onto the existing M8 post and has the correct threads outside for the retaining nut of the AXA - https://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=3712&category=
Extra tool holders for the AXA are a lot easier to find than ones for the 0XA.

For LMS lathe cutters, hover your mouse over "Products" on the left end of the toolbar. Slide down to "Cutting Tools", then across and down to "Turning Tools". Find the "Jump to" and click on "T". Lots of choices there.

Congrats on getting what sounds like a nice lathe!

hman, thank for the very useful information. If the AXA QCTP is a better product, I will most definitely return what I have and go that route. I have no experience with lathes and bought what I thought would be a good upgrade. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction!

I will do everything you have stated above.

Now, about that donut.. Do I still need to make one with the AXA type tool post?

I made the 4 bolt clamp for mine and noticed a large difference, then I went ahead and made the donut, even better.
I use the axa qctp and being a newb take very agressive cuts and really put the lathe outside its comfort zone.
It parts all the materials I've tried so far including some pretty hard steel.
I would say forget the 4 bolt mod and go straight to the donut, its way stiffer.
Having said that I can still see flex in the tool post sometimes so the next mod will be a solid plinth for the qctp.

Agree with everything hman says. I bought the A2Z CNC for my ancient 6" Atlas and it's not that beefy. Your Jet can handle much more than mine so the AXA is a nice step up from the OXA and certainly the A2Z.
http://littlemachineshop.com/info/qctp.php has a good comparison page on the differences.

Now, about that donut.. Do I still need to make one with the AXA type tool post?
It may depend on how heavy a cut you plan to do. I've installed a 4-bolt from LMS and found it adequate https://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=4135&category=
... but then, I don't do heavy cuts. As Savarin said, the donut is "even better."

In addition, I'm sometimes a bit lazy. You can buy the 4-bolt, but you'd have to make your own donut. Maybe you can start out with the 4-bolt, try it, and decide if you want to fabricate a donut for yourself. In any case, I'd have to agree that the original 2-bolt hold-down is a loser.

PS - if you get the 4-bolt from LMS, it's helpful to shave off about 1/32 or 1/16" from the left edge, so it doesn't overhang the side of the cross slide.

PPS - jkcrum - Great link. I'd forgotten how much helpful info there is on the LMS website!

I already have the 4 bolt mount in hand. I ordered it along with the OXA QCTP. I will go ahead and install the 4 bolt mount, and return the OXA for the AXA. I think I will go ahead and make the donut. I have a bunch of aluminum on hand that I can play with. If I can make the donut out of aluminum first, I can then test it and verify I have all dimensions correct and then I can make it out of steel later (if I want/need to).

This is a very informative site. I just hope as my experience grows that I am able to give something back!

the other thing I did was to add a further 4 bolts to hold the base of the top slide to the donut but I cant find the link to it on this site.
Maybe it was lost in one of the upgrades.
Maybe I should re do the post as I still have the pictures

Back