Covex and concave washers

Brento

Registered
Registered
What would these washers be used for exactly. I havent seen these before. I have 4 sets of them and i am still just organizing away in the shop and trying to find methodical homes for stuff.

D34036E6-F7D6-4F7E-9816-B5C7D6738009.png

If they fit together it could be from some kind of alignment scheme. They don’t look like thrust washers to me.

John

They look like clamp washers. I have a box of them in two sizes, 3/8 & 1/2. When you use hold downs on a table, they should clamp fairly flat. Sometimes you just get too much of an angle and you use them to get a good flat surface for the nut to seat on. If not, the nut would be at an angle and maybe slip.

Spherical Washers, for situations where a threaded hole is not perpendicular to surface. I used them to attach my DRO scales to my mill. The castings were at slight angles off of where the scaled needed to be. Those washers made alignment a snap!
Also used on turbines, for bolting together the horizontal joint and the high pressure piping flanges, we always used anti seez on the spherical surface.

I'm with uglydog; Belleville washers are springs. Stack 'em spoonstyle to make very stiff springs, or
antispoonstyle (bump-to-bump) for longer travel and weaker springs. Spherical washers are
roundside/flatside types, and unlikely to be bought in bunches and found afterward as leftovers.

Back