• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You

• I apologize to anyone who is disappointed with their experience on The Hobby-Machinist.

Anyone who made a donation within the last year who would like a refund, please PM me and I will refund your money.

Again, my apologies.

Nelson

[4]

Craftsman 101-07403 head stock pulley set screw

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

00harleydyna

Registered
Registered
Hey everyone I'm kind of confused with my Craftsman 101-07403 that I just picked up. I just went through it and tightened everything up and I noticed a set screw on the headstock pulley pack. I'm confused because I don't understand why the set screw is there. If the set screw is tightened to the spindle, when you pull the pin out on the bull gear to the pulley pack and rotate the spindle it still rotates everything because the pulleys are still under power of the belt. It makes the back gear system unoperable. However if the set screw is now screw down under normal turning operations the only thing seeming to be holding everything together is the bull gear pin. Can someone explain this to me. I'm sorry if this doesn't make much sense.

Attachments

JPMacG

Active User
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
I think that is an oil port. You remove the set screw to inject oil. The set screw just keeps dirt out.

markba633csi

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
That's probably the least understood (and most often goofed up) feature on an Atlas/Craftsman. The factory should really have put a rubber plug or something instead of a setscrew, it just invites trouble since people don't read manuals
mark

wa5cab

Downloads Moderator
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Yeah. And they don't read things in the Sticky Thread section at the top of this Forum, either.:(

That's one of the many reasons that people should always RTFM before rather than after it's too late.

Last edited:

00harleydyna

Registered
Registered
Yeah well I'm sure the manual for my lathe was lost about 65 years ago and Maybe for some people this forum is easy to navigate around but it takes me about 20 minutes to figure out where to post a question so it's prob the last place I would think to read a manual from.

RandyM

H-M Supporter - Commercial Member
Staff member
H-M Supporter - Commercial Member
[6]
[5] [7]