Craftsman 101-0743 Counter pulley system

lot's of questions

Registered
Registered
Just picked up a Craftsman 101-0743 lathe at auction.
It appears to be in real good shape but is missing the counter pulley system. Found one on ebay but I'll have to mortgage my house to get it.
My question;
Can I bypass the CPS it's missing and rig something right off the motor.

I would say that it is possible, but at significant cost. The cost being lost functionality. I reserve the right to be completely wrong about that.

There are people here who could probably build the whole assembly from scraps. I don’t know your skill, or “will” to do it.

If it’s me, I buy the assembly and be done with it. This hobby does require some expense. A fully functional machine tool is fairly high up there on the priority list.

These are pretty common. Depending on how expensive the parts are you might want to look for a whole machine.

Alternatively you might want to rig up a servo motor for variable speed. We have a forum sponsor who sells them converted for machine tools.

Also, you might get better responses in the Craftsman section of the forum.

Welcome to Hobby-Machinist, you found the right place.

John

Here’s a little mental justification tool for you. This assembly is currently selling for $250 maybe? So you buy it and have a go at metal turning. 5 years from now, you haven’t really used the lathe that much. You decide to get rid of it and make some room. Let’s say worst case scenario, you list this assembly on EBay and sell it for $200. Your total out of pocket for whatever machining adventure you did do is $50. That’s a pretty cheap hobby.
Of course I’m assuming you didn’t leave the machine sitting in an unheated, leaky barn for five years. In which case, you’ll have more trouble getting your money back.

Anyways, a hobby is by definition a money pit. It’s work you do willingly in the absence of pay. Even if the lathe were free, your time has a monetary value.

Back