Craftsman 101.28910 quick change assembly

Limbsmith

Registered
Registered
Hello again forum
I am fast approaching the time to take down the quick change assembly to thoroughly clean and lubricate.
Best approach for a newb? Did search here and youtube. No joy.

Are you referencing the QCGB? I have the same lathe. Mr Pete has two videos on the QCGB. SHOP TIPS #228 Installing Quick Change Gearbox on Atlas Lathe Pt 1 tubalcain - YouTube SHOP TIPS #229 Installing Quick Change Gearbox on Atlas Lathe Pt 2 tubalcain - YouTube Ours are slightly different in that there is a 3rd screw that you access from the top where the drive pulleys are to remove the QCGB.
Thank you! I followed his instruction on carriage and tailstock. I have the spindle out. How do I get the back gear assembly out?

I have never taken the back gears out. Looking at the parts diagrams there are some gears and shafts held in place by set screws. My guess is that you loosen the set screws and the shaft for the back gears should slide out through the hole directly underneath the spindle. But that's just a guess on my part.

Do you have a copy of the manual? If not here is a link. 16331.pdf (vintagemachinery.org) The manual should also be in the downloads section of the forum. You have to have a paid membership to access the downloads. You really should become a paid member. It is a nominal annual cost and well worth it to support the forum.

I have never taken the back gears out. Looking at the parts diagrams there are some gears and shafts held in place by set screws. My guess is that you loosen the set screws and the shaft for the back gears should slide out through the hole directly underneath the spindle. But that's just a guess on my part.

Do you have a copy of the manual? If not here is a link. 16331.pdf (vintagemachinery.org) The manual should also be in the downloads section of the forum. You have to have a paid membership to access the downloads. You really should become a paid member. It is a nominal annual cost and well worth it to support the forum.
I have removed the QCGB. I do have a copy of the manual. I am deliberating About the back gear disassembly. I don’t think I am going to completely tear down the QCGB. Too much going on. I will just clean in place. I will join. Just clueless! Thanks

Platinum member now. Thanks again

I took my QCGB off for cleaning when I got my lathe. That's how I discovered the 3rd screw. My lathe had been lightly used since new by a hobby machinist. There was not a chip to be found anywhere. It was dirty and grimy from not being used for several years before I got it. I recently learned that mineral spirits works really well for cleaning my lathe. Especially the lead screw. I keep some in a spray bottle.

Congrats on joining the forum.

Did you completely disassemble QCGB?I tried lacquer thinner today. I don’t care for that stuff. Have used multiple cans of brake cleaner. I like the mineral spirits idea. Didn’t think about spray bottle. Thanks for all the help.

Did you completely disassemble QCGB?I tried lacquer thinner today. I don’t care for that stuff. Have used multiple cans of brake cleaner. I like the mineral spirits idea. Didn’t think about spray bottle. Thanks for all the help.
Limbsmith, I just finished completely disassembling the QCGB on the same machine. I bought the machine a few weeks ago. The left hand speed change lever would not slide on its shaft in order to select different speeds. Turned out the gear on the lever had sheared off the key that is machined into the gear and it had spun on the shaft about a 1/4 round and seized the gear on the shaft. Just got it all back together with a new gear. It did not damage the shaft at all. It's all pretty straight forward to take it all apart and clean it and inspect.

Oldmanoffgrid. Welcome to the forum.

I did not disassemble my QCGB. Everything seemed to spin as it should. So I just greased everything.

Back