Craftsman 101.28910 quick change assembly

Limbsmith, I just finished completely disassembling the QCGB on the same machine. I bought the machine a few weeks ago. The left hand speed change lever would not slide on its shaft in order to select different speeds. Turned out the gear on the lever had sheared off the key that is machined into the gear and it had spun on the shaft about a 1/4 round and seized the gear on the shaft. Just got it all back together with a new gear. It did not damage the shaft at all. It's all pretty straight forward to take it all apart and clean it and inspect.
Thanks for the reply. I did go ahead and disassemble that portion for the same reason. It was gunked and did not move easily. Just frozen grease and crap from years ago.I think I am stopping there. The rest I can clean in place. Thankfully, nothing is broken so far.

Oldmanoffgrid. Welcome to the forum.

I did not disassemble my QCGB. Everything seemed to spin as it should. So I just greased everything.
I am stopping at removing the levers. Everything else seems to be moving fine. Thanks

Thank you! I followed his instruction on carriage and tailstock. I have the spindle out. How do I get the back gear assembly out?
First read the instructions for using Downloads that you will find in the Sticky section at the top of this Forum.

Then go to Downloads and drill down below the Atlas/Craftsman folder until you get into A.C Lathes Repairs & Technical Bulletins and look for and download "Atlas Tech Bulletin 12 Late Back Gear Instr.pdf".

Note that the Sort capability has still not been fixed. There is some conflict between it and the current Xenforo version. The Admins report that they can see the code but have not been able to figure out why it will not display.

First read the instructions for using Downloads that you will find in the Sticky section at the top of this Forum.

Then go to Downloads and drill down below the Atlas/Craftsman folder until you get into A.C Lathes Repairs & Technical Bulletins and look for and download "Atlas Tech Bulletin 12 Late Back Gear Instr.pdf".

Note that the Sort capability has still not been fixed. There is some conflict between it and the current Xenforo version. The Admins report that they can see the code but have not been able to figure out why it will not display.
Thank you. Did you get my pm on the belt tension lever?

Back