Craftsman 101 lathe change gears

Mr.Chips

Registered
Registered
I need to make a set of change gears for my Craftsman 101 series lathe. Am making a dividing/indexing fixture and am wondering if all the change gears are the same pitch, if so I will bite the bullet and buy a involute cutting bit, but if they have deferent pitches then ill cheap out go the one tooth bit route.

If anyone could tell me the specs of the gears in a change set I would appreciate it. Pitch, tooth count, diameter.

thanks
HH

Yes they are all the same pitch. Otherwise they would not mesh properly.

Making gears something I have never had the time and equipment to do so.
Pierre

need more info. A 101 can be 6" to 12" lathe.

I believe they are 16DP 14 1/2" PA gears. You can buy these gears in steel from Boston gear and simply face them down to the proper thickness (3/8" IIRC). That's what I did when I had my Atlas/Craftsman lathe.

The Boston gears already have the right ID hole and the two keyways.
Untitled.jpg

These documents may help you find out what tooth counts you need: http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgIndex/detail.aspx?id=51&tab=3

John

Untitled.jpg

Found these answers at the yahoo users group. I have not found a listing to confirm the gears for standard Atlas gears. Likely it is there somewhere.
Pierre

[atlas_craftsman] Re: change gears for 6-inch craftsman lathe
Posted By:

jtiers@...

Fri Nov*19,*1999 10:53*pm**|

Do you mean Atlas 6" or AA 6"? Both can be "Craftsman".
If AA then per manual there were the following toothed sizes 20, 24, 32,
36, 40, 44, 46, 48, 52, 54, 56, and 64. plus the spindle, tumble and stud
gears.
Jerry
-----Original Message-----
To: atlas_craftsman@eGroups.com <atlas_craftsman@eGroups.com>
Date: Friday, November 19, 1999 5:53 AM
Subject: [atlas_craftsman] change gears for 6-inch craftsman lathe

>how many change gears came with a craftsman lathe 6 inch. and any on
>their specs. thanks greg hoffman
>
>
Posted By:
jfendley@...

Mon Jan*31,*2000 11:51*pm**|

Yes,
The Atlas 6" and the AA 109 gears are the same. An AA set consists of 14
gears: 1-20, 1-24, 2-32, 1-36, 1-40, 1-44, 1-46, 1-48, 1-52, 1-54, 1-56,
2-64. All gears are 24 diametral pitch

Conflicting information

HMMMMMM.
OK I now have had two replays, one says 16DP and 14.5PA and another person says 24DP and doesn't mention PA.

Help which is correct?

My lathe is a Craftsman 6". Model: 101 21200 Serial: 000710

Thanks
HH

I checked over in the Atlas/Craftsman group. It looks like the 12" (what I had) uses 16 DP gears, the 6" uses 24 DP gears. PA is ?. That's only hearsay since I never owned a 6".

I don't see 24 DP gears in the Boston catalog but they do make 24 DP spur gears. The first replacement change gears for my atlas were regular spur gears faced to the right thickness (machined off the boss), then I used a broach to create the two keyways. This may be an option for you if the PA is right.

Download the Boston gear catalog. They have a guide in the back that you can hold an existing gear up to the page and find out pitch and PA. It's crude, but it works.

John

I need to make a set of change gears for my Craftsman 101 series lathe. Am making a dividing/indexing fixture and am wondering if all the change gears are the same pitch, if so I will bite the bullet and buy a involute cutting bit, but if they have deferent pitches then ill cheap out go the one tooth bit route.

If anyone could tell me the specs of the gears in a change set I would appreciate it. Pitch, tooth count, diameter.

thanks
HH

See this is a fairly old post, but in case you didn't get the info on PA, on the AA109(6") lathe its 14.5, DP =24 and someone
has already given you the gear list

cheers

Back