Craftsman 108.22920 band saw

Don't try and lub the blade it will come off the wheels. Dry cut only. Saw cuts ok. Watch out for the plastic drive gear . It is easy to strip . Don't ask why. The drive chain appears to be an add on. Most came with a v belt drive.

Don't try and lub the blade it will come off the wheels. Dry cut only. Saw cuts ok. Watch out for the plastic drive gear . It is easy to strip . Don't ask why. The drive chain appears to be an add on. Most came with a v belt drive.
No plastic in this saw. Steel beveled pinion and ring gears.

Jeff: That chain drive will drive you crazy with the noise and vibration, and will sling oil everywhere. Not original, and unsafe. I would change it back to v-belt.
-Mark

Mine has a steel ring gear and a plastic pinon gear. The plastic gear is missing one tooth. Does not seem to effect the operation of the saw.

Jeff: That chain drive will drive you crazy with the noise and vibration, and will sling oil everywhere. Not original, and unsafe. I would change it back to v-belt.
-Mark
Surprisingly, it's not bad. It does sling oil, I oiled her good.

Nothing wrong with a chain drive. You can just as easily take a finger off with a belt drive as you can with a chain. A cover would be a nice addition though.

Other than that, looks like a real nice unit. I have used horizontal band saw both dry and wet. The blades last longer and cut better when wet in my opinion. Most of the ones I have used (DoAlls and Kalamazoo) the rattling of the saw band cover made more noise when cutting than anything else.

I am still looking for a nice power hacksaw. Blades are cheaper, if they break they don't become Cobra's flying around to bite you and they are accurate. They are slower but I am not running a production shop so not an issue.

Back