Craftsman 109.21270 Chuck clutch suddenly slipping

slywuf

Registered
Registered
I was using this lathe yesterday for some real light duty work and all of a sudden the chuck starts slipping real bad. Seems to be little to no connection now between the chuck and the drive pulleys. I don't see anything obvious causing this. Has something inside the clutch screwed up, or what is the deal here? Any help or procedure to fix this would be greatly appreciated.

I believe on those there is pin or tab that connects the spindle to the pulleys- it may have sheared off or is maybe just in the wrong position
You may have to disassemble it to find out
-Mark

There is no clutch in these low end lathes. Something is broken.

I believe on those there is pin or tab that connects the spindle to the pulleys- it may have sheared off or is maybe just in the wrong position
You may have to disassemble it to find out
-Mark
I have attached part of the headstock drawing. What is that allen head bolt that screws into the face of the part labeled C 3511? Looks like it can be moved back and forth some in a slot. Does not seem to do anything when I moved it. Does this have something to do with the engagement of that assembly that connects the chuck to the pulleys? Anything I can do other than tear the whole thing apart?

Attachments

• headstock.jpg
    headstock.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 13
Is this Dunlop 109?
Is that the screw that engages the planetary back gear?
If you screw it all the way out the sliding pawl falls into the middle of the sun gear.
You have to disassemble a bit to put the screw back into the pawl in the sliding channel.
Hope this helps.

Is this Dunlop 109?
Is that the screw that engages the planetary back gear?
If you screw it all the way out the sliding pawl falls into the middle of the sun gear.
You have to disassemble a bit to put the screw back into the pawl in the sliding channel.
Hope this helps.
This is the Craftsman 109. Doing a little more checking, as suggested by Markba633csi "pin may be in wrong position" - This 109 has a plunger for selecting the back gear. Normally the plunger is pulled out a bit. When I push the plunger in and rotate the pulleys the plunger will eventually engage a hole in the gear drum, which locks the drum. This indeed places the lathe in back gear mode and the chuck will turn (much slower)
I need to mess with that allen bolt (SP518) and slide it back and forth to see if it will engage something with that plunger pulled out (high speed position) Anyone have experience with the setting of that bolt in order to get the high speed drive to work right?

Sears dropped the "Dunlap" grade sometime after WW-II and most tools began being called Craftsman.

Back