[4]

Craftsman 109 lathe

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

DEADEYEO86

Registered
looking for 109 owners

ericc

Active User
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
Hi deadeye. I am an owner. There are a lot of these things out there. They are nice and small, and are a real lathe. They are, however, limited in capacity and have some quality issues. Some people say that an import mini-lathe is better to start off with. Do you have one? Is it a basket case, or is it just working poorly? Or, do you just want to connect with some others who use these machines?

DEADEYEO86

Registered
I have a South Bend 9C, 3 craftsman 109 , rebuilding 2 making parts (tooling, tool holders, etc) 1 maximat 7 (missing lathed head would to sell or trade )1 Taig lathe 1 millrite knee mill , 1 Shop Smith , and 1 Rockwell 46- 201 lathe head that I plan to make a bowl lathe . I have been researching VFD variable frequency drives. way too much going on. But I am retired and I have a degree in machine tool technology, and teach at the same tech. school from time to time adjunct. this is way more than you wanted to know

have plans to make a bowl lathe

DEADEYEO86

Registered
Please elaborate.
Hi: I have 3 craftsman 1 complete , 2 rebuilding . I am looking for someone who has same the same interest

RandyM

H-M Supporter - Commercial Member
Staff member
Hi: I have 3 craftsman 1 complete , 2 rebuilding . I am looking for someone who has same the same interest
Look no further, you have found them. You are on the right website and in the correct section.:encourage:

DEADEYEO86

Registered
I have a South Bend 9C, 3 craftsman 109 , rebuilding 2 making parts (tooling, tool holders, etc) 1 maximat 7 (missing lathed head would to sell or trade )1 Taig lathe 1 millrite knee mill , 1 Shop Smith , and 1 Rockwell 46- 201 lathe head that I plan to make a bowl lathe . I have been researching VFD variable frequency drives. way too much going on. But I am retired and I have a degree in machine tool technology, and teach at the same tech. school from time to time adjunct. this is way more than you wanted to know

have plans to make a bowl lathe
Do you have plans for a bowl lathe I have been look at the Nova 1624 trying to figure how to mount the C56 faced motor

DEADEYEO86

Registered
Look no further, you have found them. You are on the right website and in the correct section.:encourage:
Has any body adapted to a 3 phase motor with VFD VARIABLE FREQUENCY DRIVE? THANK YOU I will have lots of questions 60 years in Maintenance . Not exactly a novice

welderr

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
looking for 109 owners
I picked one up recently in very good shape for small turning jobs like magneto parts and carburetor Jets etc .TJ

Old Rivers

Registered
Has any body adapted to a 3 phase motor with VFD VARIABLE FREQUENCY DRIVE? THANK YOU I will have lots of questions 60 years in Maintenance . Not exactly a novice
I have recently installed a 240V 3-phase, 1750 RPM motor on my Atlas TH42 lathe. Motor is a #56 frame size, which was easily adapted to fit the original motor bracket on the lathe.
I used a Baldor 1 HP VS1ST 120V VFD, and I wired up a potentiometer for speed control and a SPDT switch for FWD-REV. I am pleased with how it turned out, it works really well.

Bill

DEADEYEO86

Registered
I have recently installed a 240V 3-phase, 1750 RPM motor on my Atlas TH42 lathe. Motor is a #56 frame size, which was easily adapted to fit the original motor bracket on the lathe.
I used a Baldor 1 HP VS1ST 120V VFD, and I wired up a potentiometer for speed control and a SPDT switch for FWD-REV. I am pleased with how it turned out, it works really well.

Bill
HI:

May I ask where you got you parts from, I want to build a bowl lathe ,and convert my millrite mill, as well as my craftsman 109 lathe and drill press

thank YOU for you reply

RandyM

Staff member

Old Rivers

Registered
HI:

May I ask where you got you parts from, I want to build a bowl lathe ,and convert my millrite mill, as well as my craftsman 109 lathe and drill press

thank YOU for you reply
Here's the motor I bought:

https://www.surpluscenter.com/Brand...-460-Volt-AC-3Ph-S56-Leeson-Motor-10-2711.axd

I also got my motor shaft pulley from the same place.

The VFD is something I had lying around, any 120V or 240V single-phase input VFD with adequate HP rating will work, as these will have a 240V 3-phase output.

Bill

welderr

I pulled an old treadmill out of the garbage to use the motor eventually, but my daughter stole it and is using it as a treadmill. I got a nice motor with my 109 so I am just going to build a jackshaft for it, hopefully things will calm down after harvest is over, I am up to my eye balls in broken farm machinery right now.

welderr

Please elaborate.
Hey Randy would it be hard to add Dunlap to the header of this section, a new owner might not know they are related to each other

RandyM

Staff member
Hey Randy would it be hard to add Dunlap to the header of this section, a new owner might not know they are related to each other
I don't know, I'll find out what the staff has to say.

DEADEYEO86

Registered
I don't know, I'll find out what the staff has to say.
Hi: I am the new guy may I suggest that you just add a (/ Dunlap ) and that would make it easier for most to find everything at one spot I by no means am trying to step on any toes Thank YOU

DEADEYEO86

Registered

RandyM

Staff member
Hi: I am the new guy may I suggest that you just add a (/ Dunlap ) and that would make it easier for most to find everything at one spot I by no means am trying to step on any toes Thank YOU
No you aren't stepping on anyone's toes. I am a lowly mod and not an admin. I do not have the power to make your requested change. But, as you can now see, your request has been granted.

DEADEYEO86

Registered
THANK YOU for the info

DEADEYEO86

Registered
Hi deadeye. I am an owner. There are a lot of these things out there. They are nice and small, and are a real lathe. They are, however, limited in capacity and have some quality issues. Some people say that an import mini-lathe is better to start off with. Do you have one? Is it a basket case, or is it just working poorly? Or, do you just want to connect with some others who use these machines?
I am looking for people who have a Craftsman 109 and South Bend 9 who use thier machines and who have made improvments on their machines

DEADEYEO86

Registered
I am looking for people who have a Craftsman 109 and South Bend 9 who use their machines and who have made improvements on their machines . I will post some photos of my own soon

ericc

Active User
Hi deadeye. I am in the same situation. I have 2 109's and a South Bend 9. Currently, I am working on a toolpost for the South Bend. It was stripped before I bought it.

DEADEYEO86

Registered
do you have any measurements, I have som extra tool post of various sizes. Lantern type

welderr

Thanks

DEADEYEO86

Registered
This is something I have been working on , tool holders just for my 109's they work with home made tooling as well. By home made I mean broken tooling that has been refigured to fit. I get an ample supply of center drill and square tool bit that have been broken by students who have not learned yet how to use same.

Attachments

ericc

Active User
Hi deadeye. I've got some just like that! In fact, I am using one on my South Bend. It is not very stable because it needs a riser. But, it doesn't have to be. I think it just did it's last job: a quick change tool holder with a pretty beefy tool block and column. I still have a bit of milling and drilling work to do.

Thank you for the offer of the South Bend lantern toolpost. I actually have a lantern on the way, but no armstrong tool bit holders. This is more of an original look kind of thing, since I hear that the lantern doesn't work all that well. But, since I already rough forged it, I may as well complete it. It is very low priority, though. And a whole bunch of other priorities have come in.

[6]
[5] [7]