Craftsman 12" Counter Shaft Rebuild

jimkinney

Registered
Registered
I need to rebuild/replace the counter shaft on my Craftsman lathe. What is the best material to use to make another one.

I thought about turning down the shaft and using oversize bearings, but then I can't put it back together.

Thanks in advance,

Jim

I need to rebuild/replace the counter shaft on my Craftsman lathe. What is the best material to use to make another one.

I thought about turning down the shaft and using oversize bearings, but then I can't put it back together.

Thanks in advance,

Jim

That is the trouble when re-engineering. Unless you are planing on machining everything it isn't worth it. Sorry

I always like to use stress proof steel it machines well and is tough enough where you need it. Ray

I always like to use stress proof steel it machines well and is tough enough where you need it. Ray

I ordered some ground and polished stress proof 1144 from Speedy Metals, so I will give that a try.

fast67ford: That would have worked also if seen earlier. At least with the 1144, I don't have to grind the key way.

Bill C: This shaft is very simple, single diameter and a key way. It will be a good project for me.

Thanks,

Jim

Back