Craftsman 6" Lathe Rockershaft substitute

bama7

Registered
Registered
I am having a difficult time finding a replacement Rocker Shaft M6-76 for my 101.070301 lathe. Will a Craftsman 10" Rocker Shaft 10-76 be a good replacement?

Greetings, why don't you get a piece of 1/2" drill rod or some 1045 and file a couple flats for the collars.

That could be done, but I was wanting the correct shaft and then make the handle and knob. I can get a new shaft, without the bracket for around $15.00.

Short answer to your original question is No. We have the factory drawing for 10-76. And several reverse engineered drawings for M6-76. Although the shaft diameter is shown as 5/8" on the factory drawing of 10-76 and on the owner-drawn drawings of M6-76, and the dimensions of the two double flats is the same, the flats are about 3/4" closer together on the M6-76 and the 10-76 drawing says that it is case hardened and then Parkerized. So you would have to have something like an EDM mill to cut the new flats, plus the old flat would fall right in the shaft hole in the countershaft bracket. So forget that.

Short answer to your original question is No. We have the factory drawing for 10-76. And several reverse engineered drawings for M6-76. Although the shaft diameter is shown as 5/8" on the factory drawing of 10-76 and on the owner-drawn drawings of M6-76, and the dimensions of the two double flats is the same, the flats are about 3/4" closer together on the M6-76 and the 10-76 drawing says that it is case hardened and then Parkerized. So you would have to have something like an EDM mill to cut the new flats, plus the old flat would fall right in the shaft hole in the countershaft bracket. So forget that.
Thank you very much for that info. The search continues for the M6-76.

Thank you very much for that info. The search continues for the M6-76.
Have you contacted MyMachineShop.net (Joel)? He typically has many more parts than are listed on the web site. You might get one a little cheaper directly from eBay but Joel is a straight-shooter and pretty knowledgeable.

BTW, that countershaft on my Atlas 618 is pretty worn. I was thinking that it might make a good piece to practice brazing with.

Craig

Thanks for the info. I just called and left a message.

I ordered the Shaft and handle with knob from Clausing for $41 and change shipped. New stuff not used. Happy man.

Back