Craftsman 618? or 101.2400 ?

chipsandchunks

Registered
Registered
Anybody know what this is for sure. It started out a dark blue color I believe, and enough pieces are missing, that I am not sure.
Thanks for any help you may have for me , my name is BillIMG_20220106_131417551.jpg

Last edited:
It looks like some type of Frankenlathe but need some better views to be sure
-Mark

I am trying to download more photos but it says wrong type. I also think its a frankenlathe lol

If you have any trouble with that chuck, say something. I ruined one a few years back when it outsmarted me. I can't tell from that picture (or maybe any) the difference between the two models you mention. But I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter. It'll take parts from either. Looks like you got your work cut out for you!

If you have any trouble with that chuck, say something. I ruined one a few years back when it outsmarted me. I can't tell from that picture (or maybe any) the difference between the two models you mention. But I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter. It'll take parts from either. Looks like you got your work cut out for you!
I tried to unscrew the chuck , not happening. Looks like someone broke the bull gear off long ago trying to hold the head with the pin.
It does run the way it is , so that is a plus. I guess first thing is to clean it up and find out what is missing and broken , play with it a bit, and go from there. Thanks for helping! Now would be a great time, to get info on getting the chuck off !

Here's the cover . I still don't know how to get the pics in for sure I just start trying stuff and eventually they pop up , lol

Attachments

• IMG_20220106_131448323.jpg
    IMG_20220106_131448323.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 8
Oh well I would think if it has the Craftsman badge on the gear cover then it must be the Craftsman model number.
I only know how to get the chuck apart. Mine was frozen with rust. But Mrpete has a video on unsticking one from a lathe spindle. But the idea thats always seemed best is to get a piece of hex material gripped in the jaws. Connect hex material to impact driver. Bump driver trigger until the chuck breaks free. It'll thread off easy once the initial tightness is relieved.

I still don't know how to get the pics in for sure I just start trying stuff and eventually they pop up , lol

No worries Bill, you're doing fine.

When you get a chance a couple more photos would help; the entire machine, headstock from the front, the carriage/cross-slide/top-slide, and one of the tailstock.

We will be here when you figure it out!

Brian

Back