Craftsman 618? or 101.2400 ?

Oh well I would think if it has the Craftsman badge on the gear cover then it must be the Craftsman model number.
I only know how to get the chuck apart. Mine was frozen with rust. But Mrpete has a video on unsticking one from a lathe spindle. But the idea thats always seemed best is to get a piece of hex material gripped in the jaws. Connect hex material to impact driver. Bump driver trigger until the chuck breaks free. It'll thread off easy once the initial tightness is relieved.
Thanks, I did see that video, Mr. Pete is the one who got me thinking about getting a lathe , I have watched his channel for about 7 years lol . I watched another where the man took the spindle? completely out and replaced the bearings and injserts, I think that might be beyond my ability . He seemed to have or be able to make any tool he needed at home already.

I am on the verge of figuring out the pics problem , then it will be a bit easier lol.
Soooo. As I understand it, Atlas 618 and Craftsman 101. were actually made by the same company and are both 6 inch models only , that use mostly interchangeable parts.
Is this correct?

I would say "I think so?". Wa5cab could say, but he hasn't been posting much it seems. Probably busy. Failing his advisement, there is a ton of information out in the interwebs, and here. There's a massive trove of unindexed information under "atlas lathe letters"...thats just a google search. I haven't had either machine, and really haven't done any research.

The Craftsman lathe typically has a serial no. located at the tailstock end of the lathe but @wa5cab will know for sure.

Atlas made both of those models, Sears put the Craftsman name on their version. The parts are interchangable
-M

I am on the verge of figuring out the pics problem , then it will be a bit easier lol.
Soooo. As I understand it, Atlas 618 and Craftsman 101. were actually made by the same company and are both 6 inch models only , that use mostly interchangeable parts.
Is this correct?

Sort of Sears didn't actually manufacture anything, they just badged products made for them with a Sears brand name (Craftsman, Kenmore etc). They used a prefix to identify to identify the manufacturers, 101 is what they used for Atlas. Atlas made lots of things sold by Sears wood lathes, metal lathes, shapers etc. Typical number would be something like 101.21400 which would be one of several 6" lathes Atlas made for them over the years, 101 just tells you Atlas made it, the more important part is the number following the decimal, that gives you the specifics.

Although Atlas made them, in some cases there are some detail differences between the Atlas branded lathes and the Craftsman branded lathes, bearings and spindle thread on the 6" are the two main ones that can differ.

Sears sold several Atlas metal lathes in 6", 9" (very early) and 12" sizes.

From the cover it does appear to be one of the Atlas made lathes but it appears the head stock housing is missing which gives the odd appearance, or somebody put the cover on a different lathe. What I can see in your two photos though does look like whatever you have is at least based on a 6" Atlas / Craftsman lathe.

Sort of Sears didn't actually manufacture anything, they just badged products made for them with a Sears brand name (Craftsman, Kenmore etc). They used a prefix to identify to identify the manufacturers, 101 is what they used for Atlas. Atlas made lots of things sold by Sears wood lathes, metal lathes, shapers etc. Typical number would be something like 101.21400 which would be one of several 6" lathes Atlas made for them over the years, 101 just tells you Atlas made it, the more important part is the number following the decimal, that gives you the specifics.

Although Atlas made them, in some cases there are some detail differences between the Atlas branded lathes and the Craftsman branded lathes, bearings and spindle thread on the 6" are the two main ones that can differ.

Sears sold several Atlas metal lathes in 6", 9" (very early) and 12" sizes.

From the cover it does appear to be one of the Atlas made lathes but it appears the head stock housing is missing which gives the odd appearance, or somebody put the cover on a different lathe. What I can see in your two photos though does look like whatever you have is at least based on a 6" Atlas / Craftsman lathe.
Thanks ! I'm still trying to get more pics , I have a few things that need attention first.

Back