Craftsman Atlas 6x18 101.07301 cross feed screw Question

MotoJ

Registered
Registered
Hi Folks,

So, I've been stripping and cleaning my newly acquired 618, and I've got a question.
The lathe was partially disassembled, and I've got it together and running for the most part.
I have two cross feed carriage screws, and I'm wondering if someone can tell me which is correct for my lathe.
One is a 1-20 fine thread, and the other is a 1-10 machine thread, like a worm screw.

They both work the same, same length, same brass nut, etc. I'm going to install the 1-20 one, because it seems to have less play.
Just wondering which one is the original.

Thanks,
JD20140313_195157.jpg

20140313_195157.jpg

Minor point, but neither screw looks like it is 1" in diameter.

Robert D.

The 1-20 gives you a direct read dial the stock one or 1-10 is indirect read. That is probably the reason they did that it may not be stock but I would rather have a direct read dial. If you want direct read with the 1-10 then you need a 200 th dial that is what I made for my Atlas 10.. Ray

Actually, the 10 TPI feed screw with a 100 step dial reads the cross slide movement directly. I'm afraid that I couldn't use such a non-standard machine.

Robert D.

With a 10TPI if you turn your dial like your going to remove 10 thousands lets say you will remove 20 thousands of material from the Diameter. With the 20 TPI it is direct, turn the dial ten thousands and ten is all you will remove. The larger lathes I use to operate (Leblond) where all this way and they where not confusing like the indirect read. instead of replacing my crossfeed screw with a 20 TPI I installed a 200 thousands dial which again gives me a direct read very easy to work with and to remember. Ray

Well, we are just going to have to agree to disagree about this. Both on the advantage or lack thereof of having the cutter move half as far as the dial says it does and on the logical meaning of "direct reading" versus "indirect reading".

Robert D.

With a 10TPI if you turn your dial like your going to remove 10 thousands lets say you will remove 20 thousands of material from the Diameter. With the 20 TPI it is direct, turn the dial ten thousands and ten is all you will remove. The larger lathes I use to operate (Leblond) where all this way and they where not confusing like the indirect read. instead of replacing my crossfeed screw with a 20 TPI I installed a 200 thousands dial which again gives me a direct read very easy to work with and to remember. Ray

Thats a real pain in school. You dont know what your machine dials or dro's read till you start cutting. Either work fine once you know which you are working with

Back