Craftsman / Atlas Mk 2 - 6"

"Everyone has to climb fool's hill..." -- I like that. Not specifically as it relates to the topic at hand, but just a neat expression.

-frank

I wasn't aware that there was a shortage of used Logans.
There is not in my area, nor SB or Clausing machines, they pop up fairly routinely, though usually the Logans are hand change gear machines and not equipped with a quick change. Often they are priced around $300-500. The SB without QC tend to go about as cheap, but those with QC usually double the asking price.

This makes no sense whatsoever. I understand a guy being limited to a 6" lathe. What I cannot understand is why on earth a guy would choose a less desirable late model MKII Atlas over one of the earlier and far superior design Atlas 6" lathes. Especially since he could have bought the superior version for half the price or less paid for the one shown!

I suppose there is something to be said for the fact that the machine is in fact NOS, but still, really? There is a point where the price outruns the worth of the machine even if it is NOS, and for me this is an example of one of those times.

My dad always said everyone has to climb "fools hill" I will add for some that climb is much longer than others ! LOL
I found out a long time ago that a machine is worth just about as much as someone is willing to pay for it. That's why I quit going to auctions. It got to the point that I could go to the store and buy stuff cheaper than it sold at auction.

For sure this one went for pricey . But what a beautiful machine none the less . I'm thinking to make this machine the Holy Grail of 6" MK2's it needs a 3" 6 jaw Buck chuck , taper attachment and a crotch center , OK that is the tooling it needs (did I forget something ?) Now on to my personal , I would have a set of Atlas cast iron legs matching blue and a Mahogany table top (6 coats of varnish) and have the whole set up gold pin striped (very subtle though)

I found out a long time ago that a machine is worth just about as much as someone is willing to pay for it. That's why I quit going to auctions. It got to the point that I could go to the store and buy stuff cheaper than it sold at auction.

That works well to a point. However, if you are bidding on an older USA made product and the only equal you can buy in todays market is something from China part of what drives that higher auction price is the fact that your only option is to buy something probably of lesser quality new at a cost perhaps nearly as high or higher than the quality used item being sold at a higher price at the auction.

There is not in my area, nor SB or Clausing machines, they pop up fairly routinely, though usually the Logans are hand change gear machines and not equipped with a quick change. Often they are priced around $300-500. The SB without QC tend to go about as cheap, but those with QC usually double the asking price.
Honey, we're moving to Topeka! LOL
Mark

That works well to a point. However, if you are bidding on an older USA made product and the only equal you can buy in todays market is something from China part of what drives that higher auction price is the fact that your only option is to buy something probably of lesser quality new at a cost perhaps nearly as high or higher than the quality used item being sold at a higher price at the auction.
There is that.

Yeah it seems ya gotta go to the gittin' place if ya wanna git. Specifically east coast. Wish I had family out there, but the closest is Okla city
M

Well that will get you half way here..

Back