Craftsman Drill press Vari-Slo

Who me?

Registered
Registered
In the first & second photographs, What are these types of rivet or fastener hold the name tag in place? The donut-shaped rivet is identical on both sides as there's very little clearance between the backside of the metal and the electric motor. If replacing it with something identical isn't practical is there an alternative?

Is there a way of producing the stripes on the sheet of metal?

The third photograph, trim metal around top of the drill press. Somebody who knows fusion 360 or other software, willing to make a file for anybody to have free of charge, to reproduce it.IMG_2879.jpgIMG_28790.jpgIMG_2887.jpg

Last edited:
Since you say donut I'm assuming the center of the rivet is a through hole? I've never seen rivets like that for sale except for the metal grommets that are used on tarps, banners, etc. I'm no expert on rivets though.

An alternative would be holllow rivets or tubular rivets. Also called semi-tubular rivets. The rivets don'tt have a through hole as the name hollow would impy, just the bottom end is hollow. Top is a solid dome. When installed the bottom will look similar to the rivets like yours. Good for low clearance applications unlike a pop rivet.

Here's an example

20200206_234242.jpgs-l400.jpg

I don't know anything about Fusion 360 but the rivets are called hollow rivets or reinforcing rivets. They are commonly used for reinforcing holes in fabric and leather. You will find them on everything from lace-up shoes and boots to tarpaulins and Medieval costumes.

The parallel embossing is done on a roll or a press/break/roll but with special rollers instead of just the plain cylindrical ones.

Edit - the rivets that Will showed would probably work just as well but those are called "semi-tubular" rivets. Also in some circles brake Lining rivets for drum-type brakes. Also for clutch discs for manual gear boxes.

Last edited:
I use pop rivets. After setting the rivet, I drive the remnant of the mandrel out . The rest of the mandrel works to push the remnant out. Then I set the backside of the rivet with a small hammer. It leaves a virtually flush rivet on the backside. If the backside need to be absolutely flush, preparing the back by cutting a small countersink will allow sanding or filing flush and still proving enough of an upset to retain the rivet.

Just to hold on the name plate, could a grommet be used?

What I usually use:

1581113051365.png

PS: Can we get a picture of the drill press? sounds cool.

In the first & second photographs, What are these types of rivet or fastener hold the name tag in place? The donut-shaped rivet is identical on both sides as there's very little clearance between the backside of the metal and the electric motor. If replacing it with something identical isn't practical is there an alternative?

Is there a way of producing the stripes on the sheet of metal?

The third photograph, trim metal around top of the drill press. Somebody who knows fusion 360 or other software, willing to make a file for anybody to have free of charge, to reproduce it.

Of course, here are some before photographs. I've completely taken it apart, painted or polished all surfaces. Anywhere metal rubs against another metal surface, I polish the hell out of it. Once I get it completely put back together, I will post more photographs.
P1030057.JPGIMG_2718.jpgIMG_2719.jpgIMG_2720.jpgIMG_2721 copy.jpgIMG_2723.jpgIMG_2724.jpgIMG_2725.jpgIMG_2712.jpg

Last edited:
Back