Craftsman/Dunlap AA Lathe Value?

vtcnc

Admin
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I have a 109.20630. It's taking up room and I'd prefer it goes to someone who wants to tinker with it and small projects. I'm wondering what people think a fair asking price would be for this?

Keep in mind the following:
  • V-Ways are in decent condition,
  • Had to make a makeshift carriage dial,
  • Half-nuts probably need to be replaced if one wants power feed or threading capability,
  • Incomplete set of change gears,
  • All parts sandblasted and painted or nickel plated where appropriate,
Lastly, my understanding is this is a unique headstock in that there is a 3/4" spindle in this unit. My understanding is that these are normally 1/2" spindles and are prone to bending. I can't see that happening here - its more akin to a Taig lathe in terms of durability with the 3/4" spindle.

I have found that this lathe is good for facing, turning, grooving, etc., but since I don't have the powerfeed and turning completed I don't know the real capability of this little machine.

Any thoughts on what it could sell for?

i have seen the AA lathes go for as low as 200 all the way up to 600 for a dressed up unit.
i can't imagine yours would be any more or less than the range above

If well/properly done, the 3/4" spindle is most likely a plus. Is the spindle taper still a 1MT?

This lathe, like the other so-called 109's, had a planetary gear arrangement that gave it the equivalent capability of back gears in other lathes. Is that still present and working?

If well/properly done, the 3/4" spindle is most likely a plus. Is the spindle taper still a 1MT?

This lathe, like the other so-called 109's, had a planetary gear arrangement that gave it the equivalent capability of back gears in other lathes. Is that still present and working?
Eyeballing it says it is a 1MT. I've never turned on centers. And the backgear assembly works. When I did use the lathe for some stainless steel once, that worked well to slow the lathe down.

OK. Then I agree with Mike's earlier comments on probable selling price range.

i have seen the AA lathes go for as low as 200 all the way up to 600 for a dressed up unit.
i can't imagine yours would be any more or less than the range above
While I wouldn't mind getting $600 for it, I'd be ashamed for stealing. I bought my Atlas 10F for $350!

I'd be happy to get something on the lower end of the range you suggested. For somebody on H-M, I feel it would be a good project. I wouldn't put it out there as a lathe ready to go - hence my willingness to stay on the lower side.

I have two that I have wanted to get rid of. One of them I wanted $400 for, the other $125. Nobody wanted them. People from Craigslist dickered, and even my company balked at the $400 price but did not like the stripped $125 one. I eventually ended up lending the good one to them until they finished their job. The job was worth waaaay more than $400. That lathe has done so much good work for me; it is almost a shame to see it go.

Back