Craftsman Lathe 101-07403 Restoration

JackB140

Registered
Registered
So, I started my restoration today on my Craftsman Lathe. I took the Tail Stock completely apart cleaned all with some non-corrosive cleaner and some fine steel wool. I have a bunch of pics that I will post as I go, I am looking to restore back to original colors, but I am not sure what that may be. Here is the pic of my lathe. I could not find a serial number but have the plate showing the model number. The bed ways are 42" long if that helps anyone to identify a serial number that could maybe lead me to a color. when I took the tailstock off there was a casting number stamped in the ways, it was 9581 S not sure if that could help. I have seen some very nice restoration pics that had a pertttty blue, but that is not the original color of this lathe. Any help would be appreciatedlathe.JPG.

Thanks again
Jack B

May I ask, why does it have to be the original color? This is going to be a really cool project. Thanks for posting.

Randy,
I guess it does not have to be the exact same color...I just thought if I was going through it why not bring it back to the original color. Like I said earlier I really do like the blue.

Thanks for that!! Tomorrow I will start to upload a few.

Jack B

That looks wonderful as it is. No need to paint at all, just make sure everything works right and start making chips.

Remember, it is only original once, and that paint has lasted 90 odd years, what is a few more!

Thanks Aaron, but I need to put a little paint on, especially up by the spindle area, so I figured I would do a nice little project. I started with the tail stock. I had some grey I thought I would throw on as a sandable primer. waiting for some blue to come in....You can see I didn't prime the base, because I couldn't get the tape to stick so well. It's all good it will come back apart soon. I am still trying to get an idea of the year built, I guess when I get to the spindle and look at the bearing races i will know then since I can't find a serial # on this. I was conversing with another member about the screw with nut that goes into the slot on the ram, and that It was missing.... until I found in the bottom of the desk drawer that came with the lathe.... go figure. anyway, keep making chips!!

Jack B

Tail stock.jpgTail stock 1.jpgTail stock 2.jpgTail stock 4.jpg

Hahaha...wow wouldn't that look special, and for sure be the first....but I think i will stick with blue...
Jack B

Back