Craftsman Tap Wrench Disassembly?

intrepid

Registered
Registered
I was got a good buy on a Craftsman Tap Wrench #4066 but it has a bent slide handle. Easy enough to make a new one but, How to remove the old one. The ends of the handle are machined to allow a positive stop but a straight cut so not to allow it to be removed. The body has a spring to aid in holding it in place. I was hoping there was a set screw holding it in place but there is none. I'm afraid if I force remove it the spring will be released and not be able to reinstall. The PO must have attempted hammering on it because you can see it is rounded. Any ideas?

Attachments

• tap wrench.jpg
    tap wrench.jpg
    273.2 KB · Views: 8
Use something as a makeshift sleeve to fill that recess. Can be as simple as filling it with just tape. Or machine or file a bevel on the outer end that has a sharp shoulder just like the inner shoulder has. Should be a ball & spring in there so watch for them so they don't fly into the black hole that every shop has.

Or as woodchucker said, just cut if off if you're gonna make a new one. But if you do get it off without modifying it you can try straightening it & reuse. Depends on how much it's worth to you & your time. I would just cut it off & make a new one.

Use something as a makeshift sleeve to fill that recess. Can be as simple as filling it with just tape. Or machine or file a bevel on the outer end that has a sharp shoulder just like the inner shoulder has. Should be a ball & spring in there so watch for them so they don't fly into the black hole that every shop has.

Or as woodchucker said, just cut if off if you're gonna make a new one. But if you do get it off without modifying it you can try straightening it & reuse. Depends on how much it's worth to you & your time. I would just cut it off & make a new one.
That's what I was wondering and thinking. So I cut it off and there is a small spring and a pin. It dropped out but I was lucky it fell on the bench in front of me. Its hard to see in the picture but the bend is compound so will be easier to just make a new one. Thanks

Ah, a pin, that actually makes more sense than a ball.

Back