Crashed the lathe when threading!!

You can use the existing / remaining teeth of the gear with a round, tapered, stop pin to set in between the gear teeth and enable indexing without a dividing head. Grind a flycutter to the tooth profile to machine the welded up teeth to size. Done this a few times in a pinch . Works.
I’m not sure I follow?

Use a cone shaped grinding wheel on a die grinder to shape the flycutter

D.sebens is not surprisingly very correct in the post.

I have a mill but no dividing head. I’m having one 3d printed by a friend for now and also to verify the pressure angle is correct. I may take you up on the offer. I thought about repairing with braze but I wasnt sure how to get the tooth profile correct. I was thinking that I could use the 3d printed one to copy the pattern? This gear is a little rough. It’s got another section that was repaired, looks like it was welded.

My friend is just making a plain gear and I will make spacers to get it in correct location. If I take you up on your services I will have to get better measurements since you won’t have the part in hand to verify.
so you know, you could braze it. Saw the slots then file the profile. Use a copier / scanner to make a image of your gear. Line it up... you'll be close enough...
Or, grind a tool to match, fly cut the tooth. Use the image to help align each tooth.

Just throwing out ideas. The 3d printed may last a long, long time.

I’m not sure I follow?
The tapered stop pin is threaded and mounted in a fixed piece of metal to lock the gear teeth from moving. Machine one tooth. Back off the stop pin. Index the gear one tooth. Tightened the stop pin. Cut next tooth. Rinse and repeat.
Gear has to be mounted on an arbor or shaft.

Last edited:
so you know, you could braze it. Saw the slots then file the profile. Use a copier / scanner to make a image of your gear. Line it up... you'll be close enough...
Or, grind a tool to match, fly cut the tooth. Use the image to help align each tooth.

Just throwing out ideas. The 3d printed may last a long, long time.
My buddies printer can’t do nylon. It would be printed in pla+. I think it will still be fine though not as strong as nylon. Good ideas on how to copy the profile.

My buddies printer can’t do nylon. It would be printed in pla+. I think it will still be fine though not as strong as nylon. Good ideas on how to copy the profile.
BTW, I had my son print me some 3d PLA... nice and quiet. But it didn't work out. The info provided were wrong about the metric conversion gears.
But it was really nice while running them.

OUCH ! Depending on what you do , this would be the sacrificial gear . Make a spare or 2 if you go that route . ;)

Back