Crazy DRO Question

DeanB

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
So I am the proud owner of a 1978 series 1. It came with a 2 axis acurite DRO. It's replacing a Rong-Fu 30 that I had put a 3 axis DRO on. My question is has anyone found a way to use a scale on both the quill and the knee such that the z axis readout sums the two scales. So if the knee goes up the z axis value increases and if the quill goes down the z axis value decreases. One readout for totalling both motions.

Many new DROs have that capability, assuming enough axes/inputs. You're obviously not going to get there with the Accurite.

Looks like some companies have made devices to do so in the past. Can't find much on currently "available" units.

I did find this for the Acu-rite.

And this one, that's no longer produced.

I bet it's something Yiriy @ycroosh could make/add to the TouchDRO (if it doesn't already)

I do recall a summation unit for 2 inputs to one, was quite a while ago and the scales would need to be the same resolution and the connections. Newer multi-axis DRO's do provide summation on the quill + knee, I have a 4 axis DRO and combine the two axis which are indicated as "S". It works well, a bit of a challenge to install the scale on the quill and not block anything.
Combined  Knee and Quill Axis.jpg

It works well, a bit of a challenge to install the scale on the quill and not block anything.
Indeed! The mini magnetic scales might be a better match for that application.

I think there's one from the UK M-Dro if I remember correctly.

Yep, I did remember correctly:

The consoles come in a selection of single, 2 axis, 3 axis and 4 axis versions. An axis summing interface can also be installed to combine two encoder outputs, for example the quill and knee travel.

I do recall a summation unit for 2 inputs to one, was quite a while ago and the scales would need to be the same resolution and the connections. Newer multi-axis DRO's do provide summation on the quill + knee, I have a 4 axis DRO and combine the two axis which are indicated as "S". It works well, a bit of a challenge to install the scale on the quill and not block anything.
View attachment 390361
Thanks, which DRO did you get? I was looking at the Ditron 4 axis but can't find any info if it will do the summing. Figuring out where best to mount the scale on the quill will be the next challenge. It was pretty easy on my RF-30 to put the scale up into the cavity behind the quill. No such luck on the bridgeport.

Figuring out where best to mount the scale on the quill will be the next challenge. It was pretty easy on my RF-30 to put the scale up into the cavity behind the quill. No such luck on the bridgeport.
Search on Youtube for mounting quill DRO's on a Bridgeport, particularly the Mitutoyo quill scale. You'll get ideas.

I have both knee and quill scales on my machine. I could very easily sum the readings, but i have never found a good reason to do so. I do use them independently all the time. Great for setting tool height offsets.

Back