CRC Power Lube with PTFE

projectnut

Registered
Registered
Recently I purchased a Sherline 4 jaw lathe chuck with a 5C mount, and also adapted s 3 jaw scroll chuck to a 5C mount in preparation to do some small model work. The 3 Jaw scroll chuck is an older Union one I bought about 20 years ago to use on my Seneca Falls machine. It wouldn't fit my Sheldon machine since the Sheldon uses an L00 mount that's almost the same diameter as the chuck itself. With the 5C mounts both chucks will fit on either of the machines.

As part of adapting the chuck (I've had 20 years) I disassembled and cleaned it. As you might expect there was some swarf in the scroll making it somewhat stiff to operate. After cleaning out everything I couldn't decide whether to use oil or grease as a lubricant. Ultimately I decided to try CRC Power Lube with PTFE. It's been on the market for at least 7 or 8 years. It's a dry lubricant (Teflon) that uses a pressurized liquid as a propellant.

I came across it when it was recommended by RV manufacturers to lubricate rack and pinion mechanisms for slides. I've used it on the full wall slide (29') and stairs of our Winnebago Adventurer since it was new and have had excellent results. The nice thing about it is once the propellant dries the remaining lubricant doesn't attract dirt. I sprayed all the internal parts before assembly and let them dry for a short period. I was amazed at how smoothly the chuck operated after reassembly. I haven't used the chuck to any extent since assembly so I'm not sure how long the lubricant will last. I plan to use it extensively this winter so I should get a good read as to it's longevity.

Has anyone else tried this or similar lubricants on lathe chucks?

If you are interested in giving it a try be aware CRC makes Power Lube both with and without PTFE. The type with PTFE comes in a Green can, while the type without it comes in a red can. Also be aware that prices are all over the map. A 10 oz. can from NAPA is over $17.00 while the same size can from Amazon is a little over $11.00. I recently bought 4 cans from Amazon.

I'm drilling small holes fairly deep into aluminum. I wonder how it would work as an under lube (is that a thing?) on the bits to help clear chips? I will have to try it. Maybe on the reamers too. I'm a sucker for all the lubes at the hardware store.

Last edited:
My $0.02:: What is wrong with using oil ?

Swarf has a tendency to cling to oil or grease. The advantage of dry lube is that dirt and swarf won't be captured and held in the scroll or on the pinions. It does work on movable joints exposed to weather and road conditions better than any oil I've tried. An example would be on the exit stairs of our motorhome. When I used oil or WD40 the pivot points would be covered with dirt and road debris within a few miles. After cleaning the points and using the CRC w/PTFE they remain clean and dirt free even after thousands of miles.

I'm not sure it will work equally well on the lathe chucks. That's why I'm trying it on a couple and asking if anyone else has had experience using it or a similar product.

Back