Crenex Lathe Having Issues - and I'm stumped!

ObiProps

Registered
Registered
Hi all,

I've been lurking on the forum for a while now and hoped my first post would be something a little more helpful than this! I've been spurred to post earlier than expected this morning though as I've become absolutely stumped by some issues I'm having with my Crenex lathe and would love some opinions, if nobody minds. Thank you in advance for reading! I'll describe the symptoms as best I can and just leave out my own suspicions about what's causing it. I do have suspicions, but as my electrical knowledge is firmly 'amateur' I worry I could easily skew description by trying to guess. I have a friend who is much better at this stuff than me and he had a few helpful guesses, though wasn't sure himself. I'll add those in at the end.

I have a Crenex Mini lathe 8x16" 750W, they're all over eBay and I think many Chinese companies make the same one under different names - easy to find. Had it for a couple years with no issues, and used it responsibly.

A few months ago I began encountering an issue. During operation the lathe would suddenly switch off with an audible click. Sometimes it would turn right back on but most of the time it would take a few minutes. Sometimes ten or more minutes.

This problem became increasingly common. At first I thought it was just a dodgy extension cable that the lathe was plugged into. I replaced that and the problem persisted, so I began trying to diagnose.

During a test, the lathe suddenly turned off with another click, but this time all of the lights in the garage flickered on and off. Not enough to flick the breaker. After this the lathe would not turn on again.

Half an hour later I tried the lathe again and it did turn on, but suddenly whacked up to beyond full speed. It should have been running at 1250rpm but it was hitting 1700+, no matter how I turned the potentiometer. I immediately turned it off.

At this point I figured I had enough evidence to identify the problem as the mosfet. I removed the old one, tested it and discovered that it was indeed shot. I replaced it with a new one, turned the lathe on... and all was fine! For about 45 minutes.

I had 45 minutes of regular lathe use before the old issue came back. Garage lights flickered, lathe turned off. This time it won't turn back on - each time I hit the button the garage lights flicker, the click happens, and the lathe turns off. I've discovered that if I hold down the power button the lathe does start - the garage lights flicker but the lathe keeps turning. It always cuts out after a few seconds, however. At this point the lathe is essentially non-functional. During tests here, for the first time, the lathe freaked out enough to flip the breakers in the garage.

With my amateur electrical knowledge I'm pretty stumped. Would anybody have any ideas about what might be wrong and what I need to replace, please?

Finally, our own (possibly utterly wrong) guesses:
Before I replaced the mosfet I was wondering if it was either a capacitor or a power supply issue, though with the latter I didn't really know where to begin diagnosis. My engineer friend figured that the click we were hearing was a relay switching the lathe off to protect the circuit board. When the rpm went wild that immediately pointed us towards the mosfet, and that seemed to fix the issue for a short time, though it seems that all I did was treat a symptom of the problem, not the core problem itself. Now that the problem has returned and seems worse!
The way it takes a few moments to turn back on seems to suggest a capacitor discharging to me. Though my friend thinks it could be more a power supply, relay or motor brush issue. I did consider simply replacing the entire circuit board at this point, though if it's any of the latter things that may not help.

Thank you for reading, and I hope somebody has a better idea of what's going on than me! I've always avoided trying to deal with circuits in my time, knew it would catch up with me someday...

Loose connection? Burn spot on armature? Overload switch? Run capacitor? Does the motor get hot?
There are a few guys on here with electric motor knowledge. Markba633csi is one. He will be along soon.
Cheers
Martin

The problem could in fact be the motor; an intermittant short in one of the windings could cause it
Very hard to troubleshoot this type of problem since getting the problem to manifest itself
entails risking component damage unless one has some sophisticated test equipment
Another issue is that the schematic diagram is often not available
By the time you solve the problem you may end up replacing both the motor and controller

I'm not a fan of the newer mosfet-based PWM motor speed controls on these hobby lathes
The older SCR thyristor- based drives are far more rugged and easier to repair
If your motor is a brush type then perhaps you might consider retrofitting one of those
Here in the states we have a brand called KB electronics which are available often on Ebay
Model numbers include KBIC, KBLC
This brand is also OEM on some lathes as stock equipment- highly recommended

The motor should be tested for leakage/ shorts to ground but interwinding shorts are difficult to detect
without another reference motor for comparison. A short to ground is what I suspect though.

Last edited:
I am unfamiliar with your machine but it sounds like a DC motor that has or is loosing its field circuit voltage.

Some things you could try:
1) Replace the mosfet (preferably with one of higher current and voltage ratings), then:
2) Install a ballast resistor in series with motor- a low value, high wattage resistor;
something in the range of perhaps 0.25 - 0.5 ohm at around 50 watt
Or make a resistor from a long length of wire (several dozen feet) or an extension cord
This would soften the current spike and protect the mosfet if the motor is shorting and
help isolate the problem (not a permanent solution; for testing only)
3) Add a fast-blow fuse to the controller power line input or reduce the current rating if existing fuse;
and/or add a fuse in series with motor approx. 5 amp or so

Last edited:
Hi all,

Thank you all so much for your excellent replies - and apologies that I dropped offline for a few days, currently away camping in the mountains so no complaints from me!

Plenty for me to think about here, and thank you especially for that plan Mark. As you all suggest next time I'm back I'll take a closer look at the motor - so far most of my attention has been on the board and I'd been slightly more hesitant to fiddle with the motor, but from what you all say it certainly sounds like my most likely culprit. (Thanks for the thought on motor getting hot too Martin - I don't think it did, but perhaps I wouldn't have noticed until it was too late and the thing was basically non functional!) Perhaps the easiest way out might be to just take the hit and replace the motor immediately, if I can rule out most of the other suspicions first?

Looking forward to taking another look and trying some trouble shooting - retrofitting with a more resilient motor is certainly a tempting idea - I'll have to poke around my options there...

Thanks all!
Hope I can get some of this figured out sooner rather than later. Thought I'd cracked it with that mosfet! If only.

Back