Crosman 1377 sight block

Ischgl99

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have a Crosman 1377 air pistol that I use for close range pesting and some target shooting. The sights leave a lot to be desired, but you can turn the sight plate upside down to use a peep sight instead of the standard notch. The problem, the peep sight is way too tall and the shots go too high, about 2” high at 5 yards. There didn’t appear to be enough room to notch the sight plate longer to adjust it lower, and I didn’t want to raise the height of the front sight, so I made a new block the plate mounts to with the mounting screw about 0.1” lower than with the OEM sight block. The one Crosman installed is plastic with a course screw holding the sight plate that will probably strip quickly if you make many adjustments as well.

The existing peep hole was about 1/16”, that was too small to see much of anything, so I increased the size to 0.1” and it works much better now. I still need to paint the hole to get rid of the glare when using it outside, and I will probably anodize the block once I get that setup in my shop.

ACC61302-A9BC-464D-823A-43DEF9B1B529.jpeg8CD91F33-A797-4D95-8782-670710956FD9.jpegE40883BA-D7C0-41AA-9567-2E76DC598782.jpeg

Well done! So many airguns would benefit from better sights, especially the pistols. Of course most of the rifles nowadays don't even have irons.

GsT

Somehow, Crosman saw it fit to use that carpy single point of attachment/adjustment for a bunch of their products. Makes for a pretty fragile field gun when any bump knocks it out of alignment.

Well done! So many airguns would benefit from better sights, especially the pistols. Of course most of the rifles nowadays don't even have irons.

GsT
Thank you, it’s amazing how much nicer a peep sight is, my aging eyes appreciate that! I have a Weihrauch HW95 that I have a scope on, but the groupings open up too much past 30 yards to be predictable enough for pesting, so I’m thinking of getting a PCP for the longer shots and making a Skinner style peep for the 95 and keeping my shots under 25 yards.

Somehow, Crosman saw it fit to use that carpy single point of attachment/adjustment for a bunch of their products. Makes for a pretty fragile field gun when any bump knocks it out of alignment.
Yeah, that design doesn’t make much sense. I’m not sure how much upgrading I want to do on this, the steel breech looks like it might be a nice upgrade, but I’d have to come up with different sights if I went that route.

Thank you, it’s amazing how much nicer a peep sight is, my aging eyes appreciate that! I have a Weihrauch HW95 that I have a scope on, but the groupings open up too much past 30 yards to be predictable enough for pesting, so I’m thinking of getting a PCP for the longer shots and making a Skinner style peep for the 95 and keeping my shots under 25 yards.
Danger Will Robbins! ;-) I have fallen deep down the PCP hole. It should not be taken lightly. PCPs are awesome (though not so much in pistols, imo), but they are atrociously expensive - and addictive. You might think you're OK for a while - I had (actually still have) an AirForce Condor SS with some mods that satisfied me for years (5?, 7?). First, hand-pumping, then with an inexpensive compressor. Then something snapped... Today I have perhaps a dozen PCP guns, a 'real' dive compressor, and a small fortune in different pellets. Just a warning. There was a time when I was quite satisfied with my excellent Benjamin pump rifle. I figure that not replacing the seals on that cost me at least $10k...

GsT

Danger Will Robbins! ;-) I have fallen deep down the PCP hole. It should not be taken lightly. PCPs are awesome (though not so much in pistols, imo), but they are atrociously expensive - and addictive. You might think you're OK for a while - I had (actually still have) an AirForce Condor SS with some mods that satisfied me for years (5?, 7?). First, hand-pumping, then with an inexpensive compressor. Then something snapped... Today I have perhaps a dozen PCP guns, a 'real' dive compressor, and a small fortune in different pellets. Just a warning. There was a time when I was quite satisfied with my excellent Benjamin pump rifle. I figure that not replacing the seals on that cost me at least $10k...

GsT
That is exactly why I have put it off this long! I fully understand why they call PCP the dark side lol. The hassle of getting tanks filled was a big deterrent to me, but with compressors reasonable now, I have a GX CS3 in my Amazon shopping cart waiting for me to pull the trigger... I have wanted a Marauder for many years, but I’m thinking of getting an Akela in .177, it seems to have a good reputation once the hammer spring is shortened. I have a bunch of pellets in that size I can try and see which work best, and most of my shooting will be up to 50 yards, and I found a place selling it for a good price. Another advantage, at least I think it may be, hitting the targets might be a bit quieter, my neighborhood is flat and kind of open, so noise can travel. The neighbors are friendly, but I figure the less they know, the better.

I’m sure once I get my first PCP, I’ll be eyeing up others, but boy the good ones are expensive! That cuts into my machining budget, so I might need to get a part time job to fund my hobbies lol.

That is exactly why I have put it off this long! I fully understand why they call PCP the dark side lol. The hassle of getting tanks filled was a big deterrent to me, but with compressors reasonable now, I have a GX CS3 in my Amazon shopping cart waiting for me to pull the trigger... I have wanted a Marauder for many years, but I’m thinking of getting an Akela in .177, it seems to have a good reputation once the hammer spring is shortened. I have a bunch of pellets in that size I can try and see which work best, and most of my shooting will be up to 50 yards, and I found a place selling it for a good price. Another advantage, at least I think it may be, hitting the targets might be a bit quieter, my neighborhood is flat and kind of open, so noise can travel. The neighbors are friendly, but I figure the less they know, the better.

I’m sure once I get my first PCP, I’ll be eyeing up others, but boy the good ones are expensive! That cuts into my machining budget, so I might need to get a part time job to fund my hobbies lol.
You will save money by buying an Alkin compressor, an FX gun, and a Leshiy 2, right off the bat. $9,000, but it'll save you all the intermediate steps... That's not to say that your spending will stop there, just that you'll know where you're going...
GsT

PCP air rifles are so much fun but as said you really need a compressor and tank.
I purchased a ShoeBox compressor and SCBA tank several years ago. ShoeBox was the only game in town at that time, despite being a bit finicky it has worked well (keep a couple rebuild kits on hand).
See Vevor and other China offerings in this space now.
Have a custom built Benjamín discovery and an expensive BSA purchased used from the old yellow air gun forum (air gun warriors now). Both are extraordinarily accurate but I tend to shoot the Discovery a lot more than the BSA. Not much need for additional power and heft, but it is a beautiful British made rifle.

Good work on the sight! Thanks for sharing! I have one of those 1377’s also. A lot that you can do to them. I had started a new peep for my 102, but got put on hold. I am still using a hand pump for my PCP’s, (lower end air rifles, Air Venturi, Beeman, Crosman). Don’t mind the exercise. Thought that I would have more free time now that I am retired to work on my air guns, but not so much. Too many projects to finish that I have put off using work as an excuse.

Back