Cross-slide Lock?

Engine lathes do not have axis locks because they are not needed.

Define "Engine lathe". :)

My lathe has one, if you clamp the cross slide to the taper attachment but don't clamp the TA to the bed it acts as a decent lock.

Define "Engine lathe". :)

My lathe has one, if you clamp the cross slide to the taper attachment but don't clamp the TA to the bed it acts as a decent lock.
From Merriam-Webster
A screw-cutting lathe equipped with a back-geared cone-driven headstock or with a headstock of the geared-head type.

In other words a general purpose manual lathe.

As Tom said, you can use an existing gib screw as a lock. You can also drill and tap a hole in line with the row of gib screws and add a separate locking screw. If you do this, slip a small ball bearing in the hole and maybe use a small Kipp-type locking lever to lock it - fast, simple and it will work.

I've heard of the ball bearing idea before, is it just to smooth out the screw engagement when tightening or for another purpose? I am changing the lock screw on my PM1340GT and it just came with a setscrew, no ball bearing that I could see. I am using a M8 bolt with the head milled down to use a 3/8" wrench so I can use it with the cross slide DRO scale installed.

The ball simply provides a smooth, non-marring way to apply pressure in a focused area so that the screw is not bearing down directly on the gib material. The gib lock on my Emco cross slide is a pointed short rod that fits into a tapered socket in the gib - does the same thing by applying force without moving the gib or marring it. My Criterion boring head also uses ball bearings under each gib screw.

Back